Obtaining infomation about what a vet did in WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DAVIDICUS

Staff Sergeant
Feb 23, 2005
I'm trying to find information about a US Army vet in WWII. He was in the 489th Ordnance Company which I believe was in the Third Army.

Where does one go to find out info on what a vet did, ewhere he was and when or any other information that might be available?

Yes, I have the discharge papers. 489th Ordnance Company aka 489th Ordnance Evacuation Company.

I did an extensive search through the web and only found some obituaries from other soldiers who were in that outfit.

Thanks for looking. Nice of you.

If the guy you are researching is a relative of yours, I suggest you write a letter to your country gouvernment's Veteran Department. I did it myself for two of my ancestors (one in WWI (tuned up he never was enlisted/drafted) and an other in WWII).

However, the process can take some time. I sent the letter about a month ago and I received an answer about a week after. It was telling me the result for the WWI search and that the WWII search would be longer, as they are giving priority to the veterans/families who are requesting stuff like lost medals or pensions. They said I should receive an answer in about 8 months.

Of course, if you do so, be very accurate on the info you give... As there can be more than one veteran named "John Doe".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back