Of the AMERICAN aircraft manufacturers, which one "got" jet propulsion the earliest? By that I mean, went "all-in" (or close to it) on jet designs. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"Jet Propulsion" - in a timeline from early 1942 to 1946/47

Lockheed proposed a jet design but got denied (L1000/L-133), Bell got the first contracts, (P-59) but failed in a design that would exploit the technology, Lockheed came back and produced a successful product (P-80), Republic upped the ante, (F-84), McDonnel and Grumman Navalized the technology, (F9F, F2H), North American refined it (F-86).

And when you say "got" jet propulsion the earliest? By that I mean, went "all-in" (or close to it) on jet designs" understand that manufacturers very rarely go out on their own to develop new technology unless they are going to be paid for development. Lockheed submitted a proposal in early 1942 but was rejected. When they got the go-ahead with the P/F-80, I think it's evident they "went all in," but then again they had a secured contract.

Another early jet pioneer was McDonnell at Lambert Field, St. Louis, Missouri. They began with the FH-1 Phantom (the original Phantom) in the late 1940s and the first jet I ever saw was an FH-1 in 1949, flying, and I thought it was on fire as the exhaust was black and smokey.

The McDonnell FH-1 flew in 1945. They then went on with the F2H Banshee, F3H Demon, F-88/F-101 Voodoo, F-4 Phantom II, and many others

NAA actually made a navalized jet in 1946 as well (FJ Fury - the straight-winged father of the F-86 and the later Furies). They also did the B-45 in 1947.

Vought did the (very poor) F6U Pirate in 1946, then the not-very-good F7U Cutlass before getting it right with the F8U Crusader & A-7 Corsair II.

Grumman needs little comment, F9F 1948 and onward!

Douglas flew the F3D Skynight in 1948, and went on to many more jet designs in the next few years.

Republic was father of many 1950s & 1960s jets in addition to the F-84 (1947).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back