OLD CROW 1/32 Tamiya's P-51D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks to all of you for your kind words, the NMF was made with ALCLAD II paints, then over it i rubbed SNJ aluminum polishing powder, to get the real metal look

Wow, beautiful work! Really love your weathing!

Can I ask whether you use any kind of sealer over the decals? I have limited experience with Alclad painting jet exhausts. I sprayed clear paint over part of an exhuast once, and the clear paint ruined the natural metal finish and made it look like shiny plastic. Since then I've been wondering how guys go about sealing decals over an Alclad finish (if there is any sealing done at all).

Airframes, sorry to tell you that SNJ is out of the market in USA, no one is producing it, but i found someone that sales some aluminum polishing powder over EBAY in the UK.

waterman, i dont use any sealer over decals when i use ALCLAD, what i do is airbrush some satin or flat model master clear coat over the decal itself, but not over the NMF, but ALCLAD sells a gloss clear coat that works great over alclad and you will keep the NMF look, but it takes over a week to dry

Thanks for the info on the SNJ. I've suggested the use of aluminium powder used in finger printing, or as used by jewellers.

waterman, i dont use any sealer over decals when i use ALCLAD, what i do is airbrush some satin or flat model master clear coat over the decal itself, but not over the NMF, but ALCLAD sells a gloss clear coat that works great over alclad and you will keep the NMF look, but it takes over a week to dry

Thanks very much for the info! Next time I get around to doing a NMF I will use your method. :thumbleft:

Working with the Tamiya 1/32 rendition of the P-51D as the canvas, all the details just pop, and it looks so very real. Outstanding work all around. Bud Anderson would be very proud.

Nicely done. Pretty sure the tops of the wings of this version of the 51 were painted silver at the factory so all bare metal weathering should be altered to weathered paint.

OLD CROW was painted olive drab green at the beggining, then all the paint was striped out on the field and was left in bare metal, this model was done following the instructions on Mr Anderson website, so if he says it was bare metal wings, who is more qualified to say that that the pilot himself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back