Old Crow has flown his last mission

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
I believe Bud was the last of the Yoxford Boys. I had the opportunity to meet him at my dad's last fighter group reunion in Sept 01, just days before 9-11. He was a class act and a very gracious man. Guys like him are in short supply these days. You are already missed , Bud.

Had to add a little more coz it was on my mind. Bud wrote a book, "To Fly and Fight" which is a good read and does give you some insight into the character of fighter pilots. He was one of the first members of the 357th when they were stationed in Tonopah, NV. They flew 39s at that time. I am sure he was one of the guys doing loops around the Golden Gate bridge. When they shipped out they all thought they were going to the Pacific. It was logical thinking since the army air corps was flying 39s there. But they were shipped to the UK and there was some jostling with them and the 354th. The 354th were the first to fly 51s and had been in country for some time before the 357th got there. In the swap the 354th (drgondog's father's outfit) was sent to the 9th AF and the 357th were given Leiston, UK...Station 373...the closest fighter base to Europe. William Joyce, the Nazi propaganda radio broadcaster called "Lord Haw Haw" greeted them on the radio within days of them arriving at Leiston and dubbed them with the name that would stick, the "Yoxford Boys". They got a few planes from the 354th and I do believe some from the RAF and started flying missions. They flew with distinction and honors. Bud was in that first bunch. Bud has the distinction of shooting down a German plane with Vodka. He participated in the "Frantic" missions where mustangs from the 357 and other groups flew a deep mission into Germany. They couldn't fly back so they landed in Russia. They refueled and flew back to the UK. They didn't think they would encounter any EAs on their return, and the Russians wanted 50 cal ammo,...So Bud traded his 50 ammo for Russian vodka. Remember these were 20some year olds. On the way home they spotted some German fighters and Bud gave chase, forgetting his gun bays were only 80 proof. He latched on the the tail of a 109 ( iirc) and the German pilot bailed out. That is a legit kill. He never got credit for it tho. He served his tour and like Chuck Yeager, re-upped for another stint. They were both asked, "Why do you want to go back?" Both had to pass a psych eval ( iirc). That is why he was able to chalk up amount of kills both he and he did. They both lived through another tour, however Chuck got shot down and had to escape through Spain. That is an incredible story in and of itself and worth researching. My father did very well for himself with the 357 and I thought that if he had gotten in earlier he could have maybe been a double ace or better. But in war things never go as planned. Had he flown one more mission he could have been taken out by flack, EAs, mechanical problems, weather, etc,. The fact Bud ( and Chuck ) got through it all had to do with skill, luck, and the grace of God, whom I hope he is with right now.

Last edited:
I live near him and hadn't seen him around for quite awhile. So I was guessing his health was failing.

Such a man words cannot do justice. As said before, he was kind and gracious. He was not just a great one, but one of the greatest.

I salute you, sir. RIP.
20190615_120619.jpg
20190615_111012.jpg

I've always said that all anyone needs to know about Bud Anderson is that as a wing commander in combat, he took time to correspond with a teenage student pilot. That contact grew into a 55-year friendship with the family.

There are six remaining US aces of WW II: three each Army and Navy, ages 101 to 103.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back