Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre - Stage 2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm going to muscle in on your thread, Aaron, since I went recently. Here are some pictures.

The burning Hurricane.

Burning%20Hurri_zpsxefvb2mg.jpg

Bill Reid's Anson I

Anson%20display_zpsqgs0u7jc.jpg

Ernle Clark and his fascinating story.

Ernle%20Clarke%20i_zps3iqg0qfd.jpg

Ernle%20Clarke%20ii_zpsybivadcv.jpg

Ernle%20Clarke%20iii_zpsschpphyx.jpg

Nice Me 262 night fighter model.

Me%20262_zpsqdgzhn0b.jpg

The time capsule Curtiss P-40; this aircraft has not been restored, but kept in this condition since its owners acquired it shortly after the war.

Kittyhawk%20i_zpsemq8tmru.jpg

Kittyhawk%20ii_zpst3i96lrz.jpg

Lester's Stuka mock-up looks the part now.

Stuka%20i_zpsrglqtujn.jpg

Stuka%20ii_zpsoy6qownh.jpg

Lydia Litvak and the Yak open up a section on the Great Patriotic War. There's an audio visual presentation of the battle of Stalingrad that offers facts and figures about the losses suffered by the Soviets during the war.

Yak%20and%20Lydia_zps7tu23hhm.jpg

Lydia_zpscigomyyu.jpg

Hawk 75 fin. This aircraft has a fascinating past, originally being bought by the Norwegians, then being captured by the Germans (hence the Nazi swastika) and then seeing combat with the Finns. It's undergoing long term restoration at Omaka.

Curtiss%20fin_zpsuhnhoeai.jpg

Vickers Vincent exhaust ring.

Exhaust%20ring_zpsvgszyzkh.jpg

Fairey Gordon serial.

Gordon_zpskj3e8pum.jpg

Spitfire F.XIVe NH799 in its bamboo revetment. The Spit, Yak and Anson are flyers and will be rolled out for flying days.

Spitfire_zpshxj27dqk.jpg

Very impressive display.

No worries Grant - I haven't been out there since the opening, unfortunately.

You've probably got better photos than I would have been able to!

That Hawk 75 fin was originally slated for use for the restored aircraft, but the owner made the decision, given the story associated with the aircraft, and evidence on the fin to leave it as is, and have it on display.

I've got to admit, that I knew the Soviet losses were high, but didn't appreciate how high they were until seeing the AV presentation.

Yep, it's rather sobering sitting through that presentation. Very well done though. I haven't seen Mike Nicholls for awhile, so I have no idea how the Hawk's coming along. As for the photos, I'd like to go back and take some more; I literally whizzed through and snapped away quite quickly in between working on the house and minding my daughter, so they aren't brilliant. Mind you, the contrasting lighting is pretty hard on the sensor.

Great pics, and a nicely presented museum. The 'settings' are excellent - perhaps the RAFM (Hendon) should look at this museum, and think "That's the way to do it - none of the arty farty, poorly lit cr@p we've been using lately " !

Great pics, and a nicely presented museum. The 'settings' are excellent - perhaps the RAFM (Hendon) should look at this museum, and think "That's the way to do it - none of the arty farty, poorly lit cr@p we've been using lately " !
We'll see how it goes.
The Anson flies regularly, and the Yak is available for joy rides, and that 'snow' around the yaks wheels will need to be constantly groomed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back