One bomb, one drop tank?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wild_Bill_Kelso

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2022
I was discussing drop tanks with a buddy, and he asked if they ever carried a bomb on one wing and a drop tank on the other. I am pretty sure I remember seeing this, and though I'm sure it would make for a bit difficult flying I think with trim tabs it's probably doable, but my google-fu failed me. Anyone know of some visual examples of this and / or details, which aircraft etc.? I thought I saw P-47s and maybe P-38s kitted this way ... maybe P-40s too. But couldn't find anything.

6 squadron Hurricane IV in Greece with 4x3" rockets under the starboard wing and a drop tank under the port wing.
1688318296815.png

And they did it the other way round as well
1688318274184.png

There was this thread on here from a couple of years ago about the P-38 with asymetrical loads.

P-51s in Korea flying support for Pusa perimeter flew with 165gal pls 1x1000.

355th FG in ETO flew several missions with one napalm and one 110gal tank as well as one mid range strike on a truck park near Muenster with 1x110 plus 500 pound bomb.

So... instinctively it seems like this could get tricky when you release one or the other, or even as the fuel is being used up in the drop tank. Am i right to assume careful use of trim tabs and maybe some differential throttle control is the key to success?

So... instinctively it seems like this could get tricky when you release one or the other, or even as the fuel is being used up in the drop tank. Am i right to assume careful use of trim tabs and maybe some differential throttle control is the key to success?
Given how close the loads are to the P-38's centre-line, I don't think that there would have been much of an effect.

I doubt that single-engine aircraft would have been cleared for this configuration unless they could be trimmed for flight.

I've seen this in post-WWII configurations - in this particular case a completely asymmetrical load with a bomb under centreline and one drop tank:
Fly trimmed initially, re-trim as you burn the fuel in the drop tanks. By the time it's empty, it's so close to the centerline that the trim effect is minimal. Keep it and drop the centerline bomb, if desired.

I was discussing drop tanks with a buddy, and he asked if they ever carried a bomb on one wing and a drop tank on the other. I am pretty sure I remember seeing this, and though I'm sure it would make for a bit difficult flying I think with trim tabs it's probably doable, but my google-fu failed me. Anyone know of some visual examples of this and / or details, which aircraft etc.? I thought I saw P-47s and maybe P-38s kitted this way ... maybe P-40s too. But couldn't find anything.
Corsair maybe ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back