One for Joe (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice clip, thanks! BTW the one Sabre with the yellow on the nose and tail was N86FS. I actually worked on that aircraft. It was owned by Flight Systems Inc. and was the "personal" mount of the founder of Flight Systems, Bob Laidlaw. Wyatt Fuller purchased the aircraft several years ago and beautifully restored it. Unfortunately Wyatt was killed in it last summer and the aircraft was totally destroyed during an aborted takeoff.

Nice clip, thanks! BTW the one Sabre with the yellow on the nose and tail was N86FS. I actually worked on that aircraft. It was owned by Flight Systems Inc. and was the "personal" mount of the founder of Flight Systems, Bob Laidlaw. Wyatt Fuller purchased the aircraft several years ago and beautifully restored it. Unfortunately Wyatt was killed in it last summer and the aircraft was totally destroyed during an aborted takeoff.

Joe - what was the reason for the abort, and what went down? That's one thing I like about flying turboprops, you can abort and kick it into reverse to stop on a dime! ALthough a lot of jets have that as well.

Joe - what was the reason for the abort, and what went down? That's one thing I like about flying turboprops, you can abort and kick it into reverse to stop on a dime! ALthough a lot of jets have that as well.
From what I understand he was on his way to Oshkosh. Bagged full of fuel and the OAT was over 100F. Don't know the elevation of the airport but the rumor mill says it was Density Altitude - I'll look up the accident report on the NTSB site to see if the investigation is still opened.

From what I understand he was on his way to Oshkosh. Bagged full of fuel and the OAT was over 100F. Don't know the elevation of the airport but the rumor mill says it was Density Altitude - I'll look up the accident report on the NTSB site to see if the investigation is still opened.

Hot, heavy, humid, and high (DA) will absolutely kill your peformance. Still, you should not attempt to T/O for a routine flight if your calculated accel-stop and accel-go distances exceed R/W length. Thumbs up to the engineers for these charts, they're great tools and can easily help prevent mishaps...

Hot, heavy, humid, and high (DA) will absolutely kill your peformance. Still, you should not attempt to T/O for a routine flight if your calculated accel-stop and accel-go distances exceed R/W length. Thumbs up to the engineers for these charts, they're great tools and can easily help prevent mishaps...
Unfortunately a lot of civilian jet warbird operators don't do the calculations!

ATL06LA111

PS - I was wrong about the temp - it was only 75F, but the rest of the final report is interesting - first time I read the final.

Unfortunate about the crash. I believe Jerry Yagen has a CAC Avon Sabre under restoration in NZ. When it eventually gets to the US, it would make an interesting comparison to see it flying with an F-86. Something to look forward to methinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back