ONE TOUGH HELICOPTER

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can't confirm this but I received this picture in a e-mail from a friend of a friend of a friend and it and it said that the chopper received the battle damage (mortor and small arms) on the ground at the Bagdad airport in the early days of the war. *note most of the holes aren't at an angle...like the shooter was at the same elevation as the chopper (in flight) and the big holes are at an angle like mortor shrapnel*
You know how it goes...could be true...could be a lie.

Nope - my source says it happened in the air. Look at the pitch links and damage on the lower rotor blades. The rounds came from the bottom.

In all fairness, We had a rocket land right next to our aircraft at an FOB in Iraq. The rocket threw up debris and chrapnell that pelted the aircraft and made them look like swiss cheese. The damage all looked like it came from below because what does an explosion do it throws the chrapnel and the debri up and outward. Our aircraft sustained damage to the lower sides of the blades, to the underside of the aircrat, and to whole sides of the aircraft and it looked pretty similar to that.

I can not say for the OH-58D's that are pictured up there. That could have happened on the ground or in the air but it looks like the same kind of damage as the 80mm rockets did to our Blackhawk.

FLYBOYJ said:
Interesting! Either way, it's a hell of a repair job!

The aircraft 631 was down for about 3 months. Pretty much everything had to be replaced and fixed including the structure. Several ribs in the tail boom had to even be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread