OOps didn't think about this one. F35b bomb fitting problem

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It also depends what model we're talking about. The F-35B is the V/STOL version and the one having the issue with the small diameter bomb. The F-35A/C USAF/ USN version have no such issue AFAIK as they don't have the lift fan installation. The aircraft is adaptable to the mission.

Last edited:

That's a military/ political issue that really has nothing to do with this aircraft. I would think the Typhoon would be the primary aircraft used for the defense of the UK

If the F-35's primary mission is to drop boom-booms, why is it then called F-35, I thought that F was reserved for fighters...is this gonna be one of them there turkeys, jack of all Trades, king of none?

While I could somewhat share your feelings I did a little research and there's been only one UK combat aircraft lost in the north Sea since 2005 and it was not weather related.

UK Military Aircraft Losses

Flyboy I looked at the links, but that is in the main after we had no harriers or carriers in operation.

here is a list of sea harrier, ejection history which may not be the total of write offs. I count 28 ...a substantial number, some are understandable operational stuff but even an all singing all dancing plane can have a bird strike. I am not knocking the F 35 in any way just I dont think its a great choice for us in Uk especially the vertical take off version.

SeaHarrier

After a decade or two of having no carriers once we have 2 with F 35s on board I am sure our idiot politicians will see some place they really must be used.

Unless there are MASSIVE oil fields around the Falklands I cannot see any real use for the carriers and F35s....but then I believe there are massive reserves there lol

Last edited:
http://theaviationist.com/2015/01/19/a-10-strela-iraq/
Those rebel muslims have 9K32 Strela-2 (NATO reporting name SA-7 Grail) SAMS

Strela-2 was old news by the time of 1st Desert Storm, if not earlier. A bulls-eye hit was not sufficient many times to bring down the lowly A-4 of Israel's AF or Super Galeb of Yugoslavia/Serbia (though we bagged that type sometimes, along a number of the less resilient Galebs and Jastrebs), let alone the sturdy A-10. The level of countermeasures the modern combat aircraft has today means the guidance system can be fooled in no time.

By now any non-western armed force worth that name switched from Strela-2 to the Igla.

Users who are viewing this thread