A personal view I admit. Harris was the chief of Bomber Command and was in a position to get what he wanted. Yes it was important that he had the .50 not the .303 but there were priorities. Improved Navigation was probably the first priority and a vast amount of resources was poured into getting that sorted, which it was. Improving the performance of the bombers was probably second, it not an equal priority. Again vast resources was spent on this. The Manchester became the Lancaster, the Halifax I and II became the III, The Sterling was developed and then dropped for good reason. If the 0.5 had been a top priority it would have been sorted earlier, but it wasn't, it was further down the priority list.
There are very few things that Harris wanted, that he didn't get.
Harris was far from perfect, no but who is? His insistence on attacking cities when at times there were other priorities to progress the war is often debated and his single minded determination whilst often a huge advantage could be an equally sized hurdle. Interestingly, I do not put that as negative comment on him, but the people who lacked the backbone to control him when he needed controlling.
Re my comment about fighter pilots continuing to attack after they have started taking hits I believe to be a statement of fact. You have access to the same night fighter books as I do. It doesn't matter if you are looking at German or British night fighter crews, almost invariably once they take hits they tended to pull away.
Also I take umbrage invoking Flyboy into this. One of his many talents which we all miss, was his belief that personal attacks should be left out of the forum, and people should be allowed to debate and explain their views and reasons for their views