Out of the Big Three WW2 bombers (B-17, B-24, Lancaster), was the Flying Fortress the most redundant? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm still far from decided as to the usefulness of defensive armament as a whole, except that I'm sure it depends heavily on context.

When it comes to night bombers, I deem defensive guns of relatively little use. The same darkness that was supposed to protect the bomber, protected the fighters as well. Had radercontrolled defensive guns been a thing, it would have been otherwise. As was, the chance of spotting an attacker outside the range of the 7.62 was probably limited. If ever it was spotted. As I read once in a discussion about the (occasional) ventral turret on the Lancaster, its value was probably gretest as a chanse of spotting an attacker and calling for an immidiate corkscrew. Not that they offered that good visibility, but at least the other three turrets did.

I'm sure night fighters were sometimes shot down by defensive fire, but I think the difference, had 12,7's been installed, would have been marginal.

Also I take umbrage invoking Flyboy into this. One of his many talents which we all miss, was his belief that personal attacks should be left out of the forum, and people should be allowed to debate and explain their views and reasons for their views

And that has not changed.

Attack the post, not the poster. If you cannot get your point across without doing so, the don't post at all.

Debating does not require personal attacks.

though the motorkannone was often removed by the crews.
The cannon wasn't mounted to the engine but to the forward bulkhead and the weight of the engine plus the cannon combined with it's recoil caused the bulkhead to crack and fail, as part of the F series redesign was a stronger reinforced cockpit tub to take the forces placed on it, the E-3 with the motorkannone never went into production.

Again provide sources that back up your assertions. You are painting yourself as an expert. Do tell.
What assertions?, I'm asking what are you going to replace tracers with before gyro gunsights appear?, the .50 BMG wasn't a reliable gun until late 1942-43 and neither was it's ammunition, the Americans reversed engineered .303 De Wilde incendiaries for the .50 to try and get something that worked, all the information is on this very site because it has been discussed numerous times.

A personal view I admit. Harris was the chief of Bomber Command and was in a position to get what he wanted. Yes it was important that he had the .50 not the .303 but there were priorities. Improved Navigation was probably the first priority and a vast amount of resources was poured into getting that sorted, which it was. Improving the performance of the bombers was probably second, it not an equal priority. Again vast resources was spent on this. The Manchester became the Lancaster, the Halifax I and II became the III, The Sterling was developed and then dropped for good reason. If the 0.5 had been a top priority it would have been sorted earlier, but it wasn't, it was further down the priority list.
There are very few things that Harris wanted, that he didn't get.

Harris was far from perfect, no but who is? His insistence on attacking cities when at times there were other priorities to progress the war is often debated and his single minded determination whilst often a huge advantage could be an equally sized hurdle. Interestingly, I do not put that as negative comment on him, but the people who lacked the backbone to control him when he needed controlling.

Re my comment about fighter pilots continuing to attack after they have started taking hits I believe to be a statement of fact. You have access to the same night fighter books as I do. It doesn't matter if you are looking at German or British night fighter crews, almost invariably once they take hits they tended to pull away.

Also I take umbrage invoking Flyboy into this. One of his many talents which we all miss, was his belief that personal attacks should be left out of the forum, and people should be allowed to debate and explain their views and reasons for their views
I agree it was necessary to fire immediately on a night fighter when sited For precisely the reasons you stated. However Harris stated specifically Bomber Command was concerned that gunners were not using their sights but were simply hosepiping fire around the sky and using tracer to guide thei aim. It was a highly ineffective method.

Your comment "At night there was less urgency as the combat ranges were so much shorter as few fighters would continue an attack once they started to be hit by return fire" couldn't have been further from the actual reality of a night fighter attack. "Less urgency" is the last two words that would come to my mind during a night fighter attack. Complete terror, more like it. The Night Fighter was by far the most serious danger a bomber crew faced right up until the end of the war.

Why did I ask "where is Flyboy when I need him?" I said in the thread when he died a great guy and one who didn't suffer fools. And I did so, specifically recalling the last page of this thread, about the B-17 vs the Mosquito:

Flyboy eventually had enough and shut the thread down.

…and you will note Basil Dickens came up in that thread as well. I wonder how Flyboy would react to this thread, had he still been with us. His and my views tended to align more often than not.

Jim

Last edited:
As I read once in a discussion about the (occasional) ventral turret on the Lancaster, its value was probably gretest as a chanse of spotting an attacker and calling for an immidiate corkscrew.
What people forget is why the Luftwaffe attacked from underneath, it had nothing to do with there not being a belly turret but instead it was the best way to see the target. Night fighters found the easiest way to see a bomber was to fly below them silhouetting it against the stars and then attacking by pulling up and shooting as they passed the nose, someone obviously knew about the RAF having upward firing guns to destroy balloons in WW1 and reinvented the wheel.

Hey guys, I don't know if this would be a good resource or not but I'm finding a lot of useful information from a book called, "Masters of the Air" by Donald Miller. Subtitled America's bomber boys who fought the air war against Nazi Germany. It seems to be heavily researched and is a very good read.

The cannon wasn't mounted to the engine but to the forward bulkhead and the weight of the engine plus the cannon combined with it's recoil caused the bulkhead to crack and fail, as part of the F series redesign was a stronger reinforced cockpit tub to take the forces placed on it, the E-3 with the motorkannone never went into production.
The E-2 which first tested the MG/FF and had only two cowl MG17s. it was produced in limited numbers and the MG/FF was problematic.

The Bf109E-3 had the three MG/FF cannon and an improved DB601, though the motor cannon was often removed.

Source: "Messerschmitt BF 109, Versions B - E" by Cross and Scarborough.

Every source I have read or seen on the 109 does not have the E-3 actually being fielded with the cannon firing through the hub. The vibrations were not worked out and they never made it to operational units in that configuration.

It was intended to be fitted with the nose cannon, just never was.

The E-2 was trialled in limited numbers with the MG/FF cannon, and it suffered from the mentioned vibrations and other issues.

The E-3's motor cannon also had issues like jamming and excessive vibration, so was often removed in the field but, unlike the E-2, had cannon in the wings and an uprated engine and was built as a production type (less than 1,300) unlike the E-2.

It was the F series that got the motorkanone, the FF/M first then the 151/20 from the F2 model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back