Out of the Big Three WW2 bombers (B-17, B-24, Lancaster), was the Flying Fortress the most redundant?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They were planning on B-17s at one point. The paper I posted showed that the B-29s were far more effective and hence the change in deployment.

Attachments

• Requirements for Aircraft for Invasion of Japan.pdf
    15.8 MB · Views: 39
Could someone give a brief summary?:
Did the disadvantages of the B-24 outweigh its advantages? And would it have been justified for it to be to completely replaced by the B-17?

The B-24 had a much higher accident rate per flying hour than the B-17. Note that the table is per 100,000 flying hours. In particular the fatalities stand out.

I also think the Boeing Douglas Vega group was much better organized than the group producing the B-24. They shared far more information and met regularly to exchange ideas. I have a paper on the subject at one time that i can no longer find. I am posting 2 papers that compare Seattle methods to Willow Run. Seattle is far closer to modern flexible production methods than Ford.

Attachments

• 99Q1-Boeing_revision_part3.pdf
    685 KB · Views: 35
  • Flying Fortress Learning Curve.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
The B-24 had a much higher accident rate per flying hour than the B-17. Note that the table is per 100,000 flying hours. In particular the fatalities stand out.
View attachment 665371

Interestingly, the average number of fatalities per fatal accident is lower for the B-24 than the B-17.

B-24: 2,796 / 490 = 5.71
B-17: 1,757 / 284 = 6.19

Fatal accidents as a share of all accidents:

B-24: 490 / 1,713 = 28.60%
B-17: 284 / 1,589 = 17.87%

Could someone give a brief summary?:
Did the disadvantages of the B-24 outweigh its advantages? And would it have been justified for it to be to completely replaced by the B-17?
The really important advantage of the B-24 over the B-17 was it's range while still carrying a useful load which only expanded as the war went on.

For example, RAF Coastal Command B-17 could fill the bomb bay with fuel but could then only carry 4 depth charges externally. The B-24 with extra fuel filling the forward bomb bay could still carry 8 depth charges or 4 plus a Mk24 homing torpedo internally and still fly further.

In 1945 the Liberator in SEAC was flying 24 hour missions out of Ceylon. Before the introduction of the B-29 it was the B-24 that were flying the longest ranged bombing missions of the war in 1942 and 1943. Check out the failed HALPRO mission to Ploesti in 1942 or the Shady Lady mission to Balikpapan in 1943.

There was a reason why the USAAF swapped B-17s for B-24s in the Pacific from early 1943. Range.

This is why I questioned that one chart several posts back. Depending on mission loadout and altitude flown, the B-24 had greater range than the B-17.

Is there a breakdown of those loss rates by theatre?

In the Pacific and CBI a lot of the flying was over water and the B-24 was a notoriously bad aircraft in a ditching.

The other reason was that the 8th AF was the Prima Donna and they wanted all the B-17s.
Also note that once the B-17s were equipped with "Tokyo Tanks" the range difference wasn't all that great. The paper I posted earlier shows the B-24 without bomb load have a greater range but with a bomb load the positions are reversed. In either case the difference in range isn't huge.

How were the Liberators equipped to perform 24 hour missions? And what were the ranges that were flown?

View attachment 665371
A couple of points with this table:

1) only the "Rate" (2nd line) is comparable across all types. The rest of the statistics, such as fatalities, I'm pretty sure are not normalized for flying hours, and so you cannot make conclusions about rates of fatalities based on this table.

2) I'll bet that the B-17 and B-24 statistics reflect newly trained pilots (I presume all these pilots were trained in the US). By comparison, I'll wager the B-29 stats are for pilots who were already well trained on other 4-engines types.

So…the "Rate" for the B-29 stands out to me because 40/100,000 flying hours for this type exceeds that of the B-17 (30/100,000 hours) and the B-24 (35/100,000). And this for whom would probably be well trained on 4-engined a/c, perhaps combat trained.

Edit Note: We can take lines 1 and 2 and back-calculate the flying hours, and then we can calculate the fatality rates using line 3 and the back calculated flying hours. I will do that when I get home.

Jim

Last edited:
So I have back calculated the flying hours as follows:
B-29: 6.8-100,000 hrs. (680,000 hrs)
B-17: 53.0-100,000 hrs (5,300,000 hrs)
B-24: 48.9-100,000 hours. (4,890,000 hrs)

This is a correction: Fatal Accident Rates not Fatalities

Fatal accident rates
:

B-29: 63/6.8 = 9.3 fatal accidents/100,000 hrs.
B-17: 284/53.0 = 5.3 fatal accidents/100,000 hrs.
B-24: 490/48.9 = 10.0 fatal accidents/100,000 hrs.

Sorry for any confusion.

Jim

Last edited:
The B-29 fatality rate gets a bit skewed by its larger crew size. Each accident puts more people in jeopardy. No matter how you slice it the B-24 is atrocious.

The B-29 fatality rate gets a bit skewed by its larger crew size. Each accident puts more people in jeopardy. No matter how you slice it the B-24 is atrocious.
It's twice that of the B-17, but the B-29 is likely over represented by experienced pilots.

The statistic I'd like to see is the comparable stats with well trained pilots across types, because, I have heard that the B-29 was "adventure" to fly. The engines were real problems, particularly on take-off. And the B-29 pilots were almost entirely well trained on other types prior to flying the B-29.

I've often wondered if the long gestation from the 299 through to the combat viable B-17E wasn't the greatest advantage Boeing had. Years to learn what did and didn't work along with the combat experience of the UK with the Sharktails. By the time the US was fully ramping up, the Boeing aircraft was ready. Consolidated's really wasn't.

I apologize for any confusion in post 113, above.

Here are my calculations for all of the lines in the table in Post #103. I have repeated the figures in the first lines and then calculated the rates associated with them so that they can be comparable across all types. Quite frankly the B-29 jumps out at me. I'm not sure about the rest of you. The crew of the B-29: 11; B-17: 10; B-24: 11.

Jim

I believe the B-24 had the same size crew as the B-17, but your point is well taken. I was thinking of the crew of the B-36. I blame Jimmy Stewart for his performance in the movie "Strategic Air Command", which I recently watched. It is a must watch for the exquisite photography of the B-36 in the air and for the shots of its interior. Jimmy Stewart was a real life Air Force General who at the time of the filming was fully qualified to fly the B-36 and the B-47. While John Wayne was protecting Hollywood from Japanese attacks, Jimmy was flying combat missions over Germany in a B-24. Before that he was a B-17 instructor.
Getting back to the subject, yes the B-29 was a half baked cake being force fed into service. Most of its issues seem to be related to the engines propensity to catch fire, not the aircraft itself.
Back to original point the numbers clearly show the B-24 was much more dangerous to its crew than the B-17. As an aside the numbers also show the B-26 in an extremely bad light compared to the B-25

Users who are viewing this thread