P-38 Drop Tank Blueprints

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mickey37

Recruit
Apr 26, 2009
Hi Guys, First let me introduce myself. My name is Shayne and live in New Zealand. A sheetmetal engineere by trade having also spent time in the aircraft manufacturing industry, and hot rod fabrication industry.
I've spent the last week or so looking through your forum and believe it to be a great source of information, so impressed by this that last night I decided it was time to join up. I'm not sure if I've chossen the right place to place my question of help.
I'm looking for blueprints, drawings, photo's and any technical information on the P-38 Drop Tank. I understand that these (drop tanks) are getting harder to find, and even more so here in New Zealand. So my intention is build a replica one. My intention is to use the same process and materials that was used to make these tanks so any information on the process's used to make these Drop Tanks would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Mickey37 8)

Hi again, I see with the posting of my first question, that the American Flag is shown next to country. I'm not sure how to change this and would hope No One is offended by this. If someone is able to help me to change this, that would be great.

Thanks again

Mickey37

Hi Mickey,

I have this drawing, not sure if its much help

Paul

Attachments

• drop tank.JPG
    drop tank.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 4,598
Hi Mickey,

I have this drawing, not sure if its much help

Paul

Thanks Paul

Its a great start. I've been searching for info on these for the last year or so and have found info hard to come by, so yeah,,,its a great start. :D

Thanks

Mickey37 8)

Thanks Paul

Its a great start. I've been searching for info on these for the last year or so and have found info hard to come by, so yeah,,,its a great start. :D

Thanks

Mickey37 8)

Your welcome, though Im not exacty sure where to go to exact measurements of a drop tank. Maybe a restoration company on WWII aircraft?

Paul

Hi, I'm in Michigan and I acquired a huge box of World War II paper items from an estate. I went through the box and found most everything to be P-38 related, blueprints and lots more from 1943-44. They belonged to a Captain/engineer in the Air Corp and were from several different bases. Several have to do with a drop tank and refueling. I was wondering if the blueprints would be declassified after all these years or who I could contact to find out. I didn't know where to start so I came here. Thanks from Michigan

Hi, I'm in Michigan and I acquired a huge box of World War II paper items from an estate. I went through the box and found most everything to be P-38 related, blueprints and lots more from 1943-44. They belonged to a Captain/engineer in the Air Corp and were from several different bases. Several have to do with a drop tank and refueling. I was wondering if the blueprints would be declassified after all these years or who I could contact to find out. I didn't know where to start so I came here. Thanks from Michigan

For the most part as far as I know most of the stuff would be declassified as it would be roughtly 60 to 65 years old. Now of days people can go to musuems to purchase such stuff for the restoration and such of aircraft to keep them flying.

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have a wealth of information. Treat it well. :)

Wow , thats quite a find Wounderman . If your anything like me , you'll get quite a buzz from going through the blueprints. As i've mentioned , any information to help in my quest to build a replica drop tank is very much appreciated.

Cheers Mickey378)

Hey guys! Years down the road and here I am struggling to find these details as well. I've looked everywhere I can think of. Did you guys have any luck finding the dimensions? It's for an accurate flight sim model to make the flying just right. Thanks so much!

Hi Guys, First let me introduce myself. My name is Shayne and live in New Zealand. A sheetmetal engineere by trade having also spent time in the aircraft manufacturing industry, and hot rod fabrication industry.
I've spent the last week or so looking through your forum and believe it to be a great source of information, so impressed by this that last night I decided it was time to join up. I'm not sure if I've chossen the right place to place my question of help.
I'm looking for blueprints, drawings, photo's and any technical information on the P-38 Drop Tank. I understand that these (drop tanks) are getting harder to find, and even more so here in New Zealand. So my intention is build a replica one. My intention is to use the same process and materials that was used to make these tanks so any information on the process's used to make these Drop Tanks would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Mickey37 8)

Hi MIckey37. did you ever get your drop tank blue prints? If so please refer to my recent post.

Thanks

Jim Thoreson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back