P-38 Lightning colours

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hi,
as I mentioned elsewhere soon or later I will start my 1/32 P-38 from the Trumpeter kit and I have a question on colours.
The kit concern a P-38L-5-LO bird presumably built in 1944 or later so which ones will be the correct colours for interiors?
Kit instructions state "interior green" for everything (cockpit, gun bay, wheel wells etc)
As I intend to use acrylic colours from Gunze (or equivalent), I have three options:
H-58 (FS611) that refers to pre-war and WW2, or
H-335 (FS36231) = dark green, WW2 and early post-war, or
Zinc Chromate Green???
Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Alberto

Foot note:
By the way I got above colour references from here:
Cockpit Color Guide

I don't know the FS number Alberto, but from what I've seen, the colour is the 'standard' Interior Green, an 'apple' green, similar in shade to the green zinc chromate.

That's possible Peter, but I've also seen photos showing either Interior Green, or possibly green zinc chromate in the wells, and on the interior of the doors. Cockpit area definitely appears Interior Green in all the pics I've seen so far.

Thanks Terry and Peter,
I found some pictures of a model being built by someone else showing this "interior green"
100_2216.jpg

100_2221.jpg

It looks very much similar to the Gunze H-58 I mentioned above, so if it is correct I will be OK, what do you think?
Alberto

From factory, the early P-38's had a aluminium lacquer finish, that was changed after 1942 to neutral grey. Here's a good discussion over at Hyperscale.

Plane Talking - HyperScale's Aircraft Scale Model Discussion Forum: Answers from Dana Bell and John Clements............

Three pics attached. The first is the restored "Glacier Girl", 2nd is unrestored example at the NASM, and Arkansas Traveller, showing the interior of the nose landing gear cover and nose oleo leg as grey. Of course, there is always a possibility that they were refinished in theatre to ZC, so there's that option also. HTH

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• dsc02714_med.jpg
    dsc02714_med.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 4,534
  • nosegearcover1.jpg
    nosegearcover1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 3,914
  • p38-7.jpg
    p38-7.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,606
Good stuff. I have, or have seen, photos showing NMF airframes with clear-coated alloy bays, and what might be gray, and Olive Drab/Neutral Gray aircraft with the zinc chromate finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back