P-38 or Mosquito?

Which was better?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Because they didn't make it back to have their picture taken!

I can't common on the toughness of the Mossie. I imagine that it was a fairly tough airplane but trying to argue that it was tougher than the P-38 would be difficult to do.

Lightning Guy said:
Maestro . . . the Tirpitz was sunk by a Lanc. And I doubt the Mosquito could take more damage that a Lightning. There are several instances of Lightings suffering mid-air collisions and returning to base on one engine.

Okay, my mistake. Sorry. :oops:

I've heard one story about a P-38 pilot in the MTO who suffered a head-on collision with a Bf-109. The 109 was outta luck. The Lightning had one engine seize up and the tailplane was severed where it met the right tail boom. The pilot was able to keep the plane in the air for four hours and even managed a respectable belly landing.

that's nothing, now if he'd landed with his undercarage down, that would be impressive..................

I vote for the P-38 because of what it did and could do during the war. Granted the Mosquito had it's place and mission. But compared side by side I think the P-38 has no equals as far as a piston driven aircraft.

I, however, do. The Corsair. Same-ish bombload in weight, although the sizes of their ordanance varied, I prefer the Corsair. Although few were produced, I believe the version with 4x 20mm cannons was the definitive dogfighter, and the ones used by the USMC in Korea the definitive attack variant.

The Corsair, heh? Where were you on the "Best Naval Fighter" thread? The Corsair was a great plane, but not the point of this thread, and not as versatile as the Lightning.

The Mosquito was the better bomber, the Lightning was the better fighter. And you'd be surprised how durable the Mosquito was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back