P-39 wing mounted cannons/ machine guns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Hi guys

I'm working on a 1/72 version of Capt Pavel Stepanovitch Kutakhov's P-39Q White 10 and am wondering if anyone has any photos of this aircraft. What I'm looking for is weather or not it carried the wing mounted cannons/ Machine guns. If not I need to fill some holes before I move forward. :oops:

Thanks in advance.

Dirk, this is what I found with a quick search.
1_24 Capt. Pawel Kutachow's P-39Q resized 60.jpg

Thanks Aaron, I've seen drawings like these and none of them have had the wing mounted guns but I think these are more focused on the colors. I was hoping for something more concert like an actual photo or something in print. If I don't find anything soon I'm going to go with photos like this one. By the way this is the best one I've seen so far.

Thanks again. ;)

I'm still looking but all I'm finding it video game crap. I can't seem to find the right place to look on the net. Sorry. Will keep trying.

A drawing in Osprey P-39 aces shows this a/c with the 2 x wing mounted .30 per side not the .50 in the pod but in the text and in another book I have on Russian aces they talk about removing the guns from the wing to increase manouverability and the Russians thought the .30 to small anyway the 37 mm and 2 x .50's in the nose were sufficient

I believe you will find the wing pod guns are .50 cal. None of my flight manuals make any reference to cannon (don't thinks there is enough space and would greatly increase the weight of an already heavy, wing loaded, aircraft)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back