P-40 vs. Hurricane (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

so i think people are wrong when they say that without fighter command we'd give up, we might not win, but we would fight to the last man......

Back on topic.....

"In Italy the 325 Fighter Group, commonly know as "The Checker-Tailed Clan" amassed one of the best kill to loss ratios of any fighter group in the European Theater. With a yellow and black checkerboard adorning the tail of their P-40s (and later P-47s and P-51s), they flew many sorties against more numerous German forces, and won most of the time. In 1943 the 325th won two major engagements. On July 1, 22 checker-tailed P-40s were making a fighter sweep over southern Italy when they were jumped by 40 Bf-109s. After an intense air battle, the result was half of the German aircraft shot down for the loss of a single P-40. There was a similar situation on the 30th of July, again over Italy, when 35 Bf-109s ambushed 20 P-40s. On this occasion, 21 German fighters were shot down, again for the loss of a single P-40. Because the pilots of the 325th were trained to maximize the P-40's strengths and minimize its weaknesses, it became a lethal opponent for the German fighters. The final record of "The Checker-Tailed Clan's" P-40s was 135 Axis planes shot down (96 were Bf-109s), for only 17 P-40s lost in combat"

the lancaster kicks ass said:
so i think people are wrong when they say that without fighter command we'd give up, we might not win, but we would fight to the last man......

It would/will take much more than the loss of the RAF as a whole to make the British give up. They don't know how to quit anymore than we do! 8)

wmaxt

Did someone mention the Checkertailed clan?

Attachments

• 0mustang6_187.jpg
    0mustang6_187.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 404

Lanc without an airforce, even the mighty RN would have been reduced to almost nothing in matter of weeks, if not days. There is no other weapon more effective against naval forces than aircraft.

It might take a long time before the British would have given up, but without an airforce eventually they would have.

At any rate its not worth discussing it, as the RAF was infact never beaten and even at the time where it was close to, the LW was closer.

Soren, are you british?? it doesn't sound it, when was the last time we gave up hope?? in 1940 what did the luftwaffe have that could take out a capital ship?? the LW were no more prepared to take out ships than the RAF, we were both still using small bombs to try and penetrate the top armour, which wasn't gonna happen, you're right in saying that aircraft are the most effective weapons against ships, but only really when they're carrying torpedos, the RN would have loved the chance to bring their huge forces together for the sole purpose of destroying the ill prepared invasin force, the germans had no experience of amphibious landings and were coming over often in just civilian barges! they wouldn't have a chance, the germans caused problems releasing S-boats into the allied invasion force and they just had a couple of torp. tubes, imagine what battleships and cruisers would do, meanwhile the massed flak from all the ships the the german fear or hitting their own ships in the channel would make it very difficult for them to bomb, i realise there would be losses but they can be replaced as long as the island remains intact, if you think we'd have given up you know nothing about the British........

Soren, are you british?? it doesn't sound it, when was the last time we gave up hope?? in 1940 what did the luftwaffe have that could take out a capital ship?? the LW were no more prepared to take out ships than the RAF, we were both still using small bombs to try and penetrate the top armour, which wasn't gonna happen, you're right in saying that aircraft are the most effective weapons against ships, but only really when they're carrying torpedos, the RN would have loved the chance to bring their huge forces together for the sole purpose of destroying the ill prepared invasin force, the germans had no experience of amphibious landings and were coming over often in just civilian barges! they wouldn't have a chance, the germans caused problems releasing S-boats into the allied invasion force and they just had a couple of torp. tubes, imagine what battleships and cruisers would do, meanwhile the massed flak from all the ships the the german fear or hitting their own ships in the channel would make it very difficult for them to bomb, i realise there would be losses but they can be replaced as long as the island remains intact, if you think we'd have given up you know nothing about the British........
Couldn't agree more Lanc, well said.

Well said Lanc. Something most people don't know is that even during the blitz, London had a bustling night life. The Brits are a tough bunch with amazing fortitude. I know, I lived amongst them for three years.

More information on the 325th. A little off from my earlier posting but still very impressive

Attachments

• 325th_fg_summary_169.jpg
    325th_fg_summary_169.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 307
DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I give up. Whats the point in trying to get a thread back on topic when no one listens anyhow? :rolleyes:

Sorry Adler, I'd not seen your posts yet.

Might I suggest moving the divergent posts to a new thread?

=S=

Lunatic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back