P-47 size comparison.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK, how big would an LA-5 have been if it carried eight guns instead of two. 1154 liters of fuel (internal) instead of 464 liters and tried to fight at 23,000ft an up?
Maybe the US did goof with the specifications but the P-47 was designed to do things no other fighter could do at the time regardless of size and very few could do in 1944.
BTW the fuel capacity is for the "C" with the small tank/s.

Now throw up a silhouette of a Greyhound bus for scale.
About there, maybe?????

Untitled.jpg

The 3-seat Skyraider would have been an AD-3 or AD-4. Two aircrew sat in the fuselage below and aft of the pilot in a very cramped cabin. Most of these would have been AEW (AD-3/-4W), EW (I can't recall the designation at the moment)cor night attack aircraft (AD-3/-4N). I'm so glad that the USN aircraft I flew in when I was aircrew for the USN allowed one to stand upright and walk around.

If the USAF had held on to the P-47 and used it in Korea instead of the P-51, we'd probably have lost a lot fewer pilots…

The 3-seat Skyraider would have been an AD-3 or AD-4. Two aircrew sat in the fuselage below and aft of the pilot in a very cramped cabin. Most of these would have been AEW (AD-3/-4W), EW (I can't recall the designation at the moment)cor night attack aircraft (AD-3/-4N). I'm so glad that the USN aircraft I flew in when I was aircrew for the USN allowed one to stand upright and walk around.

If the USAF had held on to the P-47 and used it in Korea instead of the P-51, we'd probably have lost a lot fewer pilots…

Couldn't the USN planes, the Bearcat, Hellcat or Corsair, have been the ground attack planes? Is inter service rivalry so insuperable, or were there not enough of the USN planes available?

The AD-5N sat 4 in the greenhouse.

DDonSS3 said:

Couldn't the USN planes, the Bearcat, Hellcat or Corsair, have been the ground attack planes? Is inter service rivalry so insuperable, or were there not enough of the USN planes available?

The P-47 was not able to be supported logistically for Korea.

The Bearcat and Hellcat were in reserve units, The Corsair saw lots of action in Korea as a fighter bomber

The P-47 was not able to be supported logistically for Korea.

The Bearcat and Hellcat were in reserve units, The Corsair saw lots of action in Korea as a fighter bomber
The Air National Guard operated P-47s between 1946 and 1955. Originally, the post-war ANG units east of the Mississippi were to operate P-47s and those to the west were to fly P-51s. This plan was generally adhered to, although there were exceptions. By December of 1948, over 700 Mustangs were serving with 28 ANG squadrons. RF-51D reconnaissance aircraft also served with the ANG. No fewer than 22 of the 27 ANG wings saw service in the Korean War.

I find the "unsupportable" line questionable, as I doubt that it would have taken that much more to ship parts from the P-47 supply facilities west then to Japan/Korea then it did shipping the P-51 parts to Korea. The P-47s could have flown to the west coast to load on the same CVEs that carried the P-51s to Japan/Korea.

The USMC (and USN) operated a lot of Corsairs in Korea - with a specialized ground-attack version (AU) entering production in 1952 (the F4U-5 had been in production between WW2 and Korea, with over half being radar-equipped night fighters, which served in Korea as well).

Last edited:
I find the "unsupportable" line questionable, as I doubt that it would have taken that much more to ship parts from the P-47 supply facilities west then to Japan/Korea then it did shipping the P-51 parts to Korea. The P-47s could have flown to the west coast to load on the same CVEs that carried the P-51s to Japan/Korea.
A few things -

as we know when the Korean War started, time was of the essence and by your previous post, all the P-51s were on the west coast.

I counted 26 P-47 squadrons (from Joe Baugher) scattered across the east cost (to include Puerto Rico). I think at this point, at least from the logistics point of view, what was going to be the easier aircraft to deploy.

Sure, fly the P-47s cross country, what about parts?

what CVE to be used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back