P-47 Thunderbolt Family

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They're True Details resin wheels Pete. They do add a lot to the realism and they were only a couple of dollars. I add them to a lot of my models.

Hmmmm I can see myself spending up on all these aftermarket bits n pieces! lol

cheers
pete

In an earlier post I asked how you made your base. It looks very realistic, is it a secret, or can you tell me?

Sorry about that I guess I missed it. The base is a piece of foam board with a pebble pattern I bought at Hobby Lobby craft supply store. I laid out a 5"x5" grid (works out to be 20 x20' IN 1/48th) on it at a skew to the edge of the board with a ultra fine point Sharpie permanent marker, then went over each line again with the marker widening and thickening the lines to make them look like the pavement joints had opened and aged. Then I went back and added cracks and spalling. The whole thing took me about an hour to do. I'm a bridge and highway construction inspector so I've seen a lot of cracked pavement so I knew what I wanted it to look like.

I've always loved the P-47 but I'm trying to become a better modeler before I build another. I did the Monogram 1.48th razorback kit and the Testors 1/48 crome plated kit (remember those?) as a kid. Have you ever seen the film Thunderbolt by William Wyler? It's a must see not only for P-47 fans but really for anyone. It's a great documentary about what life was like for Thunderbolt pilots during Operation Strangle over Italy in 1944. And it was filmed in color!

Yes I remember the Testor chrome plated series Ed. I built the Thunderbolt, Mustang, and Lysander when I was a kid. I have the William Wyler film on a DVD I bought on eBay that also had 3 p-47 pilot training films. Another good color Movie is "Fighter Squadron" which was made right after the war. The plot is typ. War movie of the period, but there is a lot of real color footage, along with a lot of stuff filmed for the movie. It was probably the last big group of Thunderbolts flying together.

It's been a few years since I watched it Terry, but I think they did use P-51Bs or Cs as 109s. I have it at home on VHS somewhere. Good excuse to watch it again. I'll have to dig it up tonight.

Thanks mate. Somewhere, I've got a couple of B&W shots of one the P51B/C's, painted overall in a dark colour, probably dark OG, with emphasised black and white crosses.

Terry, I took these shots wile watching the VHS last night. Sad excuse for a P-51 windscreen in the close-up, but then its supposed to be a Bf-109 so I should say a terrible excuse for a 109 windscreen.

P5191953.JPG
P5191965.JPG
P5191966.JPG

Last edited:
Great stuff, thanks Glenn! Yep, they look like the B&W pic i have, so I presume the P51B/C's were in a different movie, possibly made near the end of WW2.
That close-up looks like a cross between a P47, Bearcat and P51D - or maybe even some bits with a Skyraider canopy !!!

I think maybe they did. If you look at the bottom of the center pain of the windscreen you can see the defrosting vent bar. That's hard to see in pictures of the real thing and I doubt if it would be included if it was just a real canopy on a prop fuselage as it runs down through the gun sight mount and has a complicated curve to make it fit. Not worth the trouble for 10 seconds of film. I worked on my vent bar for two days to get it to fit right.

P4161664.JPG
P4251671.JPG

Last edited:
Had to add these two to my old 1/72 P-47 Thunderbolt Family thread

First the XP-47J.
It is a Fastrodney resin/vacuform conversion kit for the Academy Razorback kit with home-made decals for the tail fin and Superman art.

XP-47J color.jpg
XP-47J left side.jpg
XP-47J right front.jpg

1.JPG
3.JPG
6.JPG
P3093929.JPG
P3093931.JPG
P3093932.JPG
P3093934.JPG
P3093935.JPG
P3093937.JPG