P-51 Mustang production

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

airacobra47

Recruit
Aug 20, 2011
Hey on this forum, talk about the production of the North American P-51 Mustang 8)

What fighters had higher production numbers?

Certainly the Me109, Spitfire and P-47. Any others?

Wasn't the number of Me109s was almost double the P-51?

While I would not consider these numbers as 'the bible', Wiki says .

A total of 15,686 Thunderbolts of all types were built, making it second most produced American fighter of all time—after the 16,766 P-51 Mustangs
P-40 was the third most-produced American fighter, after the P-51 and P-47; by November 1944, when production of the P-40 ceased, 13,738 had been built,

Actually Fastmongrel, when you include licensed RAAF production, I think the Mustang was the most produced US Fighter by a small margin over the P-47 (IIRC)... I will have to go back and look.

America's Hundred Thousand shows the P-51 at 15,567, the P-47 at 15,683. I don't know if this includes any foreign manufacturing, probably not. Also, is the H included?

Last edited:
I've always wondered how much earlier the P-51 could have entered production service had the USAAC been more agressive.

Late 1942/early '43 perhaps?
On time to be available at least in small numbers when the 8th AF began its operations from England to targets throughout northwestern Nazi-occupied Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back