P 51B sport model

Discussion in 'Aircraft Pictures' started by bobbysocks, Jan 5, 2011.

1. bobbysocks

bobbysocks Well-Known Member

North American Avaition introduces new for 1943 the P 51B Sport SS. Besides the standard dual exhaust, v 12 fuel injected merlin engine you will see a few new added features to this new model. 108 gallon paper tanks for those long road trips to central europe. The new and improved Malcom Hood allows for maximum viewing pleasure. We've gussied up the outside as well with bold black and white racing stripes and Firestone Wide White Side Walled Tires.

i found this on a 357 family site i belong to. it is visited by pilots, ground crews, and related families and such. i was going through one of the guy's photos and came across this version of bud's crow. it cracked me up...bud "spoatied" up the crow with white walls! all that is missing is the fuzzy dice and curb feelers! not something you see every day... :lol:

Attached Files:

2. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    #2 Wurger, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
    But it has nothing in common with model making, moved from the Modeling section to the Aviation / Aircraft Pictures sub-section.

3. VERSUCH

VERSUCH Member

A Long while ago,someone told me ,the whitewalls served a purpose,
    the Luftwaffe had them as well....keeps the UV from destroying the side walls!
    Anyone else heard this?
    Regards Mike

4. Matt308

Matt308 Glock Perfection
    Staff Member Moderator

Engineer
    Haven't heard that, but perhaps steeped in truth. Don't know chemical engineering for rubber, but the issue must have been resolved (based upon most WWII tires are solid black). Perhaps the rationale was that white sidewalls would reflect ultraviolet light energy and prevent premature cracking. It might also have been over-engineering assumption of a much longer life for tires, that were operationally disproven as unnecessary.

Then again... it might have just been war expediency of taking advantage of existing tire manufacturer production technology. Would love to hear other's insights.

5. evangilder

evangilder "Shooter"
    Staff Member Administrator

Network Engineer/Photographer
    Home Page: