P-51c/Mustang III Gunsights

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nukuqua

Recruit
Apr 2, 2009
Hi

At the end of this year i am looking at building a r/c 1/6 scale Mustang.
What gunsight did this model use?
I know the k-14 was used on the D model, cant find any clear data on the P-51c/Mustang III.

Cheers in advance

Tim:)

The Mustang Mk III. (P51B/C) had the reflector gunsight, I think.

gunsightIII.jpg

It seems that all RAF Mustang Mk.IIIs were equipped with the same Mk.I Gunsight like Spitfire.It can be seen in almost all pictures of them but also in most cockpits of USAAF P-51B/Cs used for ETO.Also it seems that at other TOs , P-51B/Cs were equipped with N-3B Gunsight.

Attachments

• MK I Projector Gun sight.jpg
    MK I Projector Gun sight.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 379
  • N3B_gunsight.jpg
    N3B_gunsight.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 404
Wurger is quite correct, the P51B/C Mustang used the gunsights illustrated, as did the P51D Mustang, until late 1944, and often beyond. Note that this sight was normally mounted so that it protruded through the instrument cowl on the P51B/C.
The K14 gyro stabilised computing sight was a licenced version, with modifications, of the British designed MkII gyro sight, and was introduced into the USAAF in Europe from around August/September 1944.

THX Airframes.:) Also it is mentioned that the early P-51Ds were equipped with K-9 earlier K-14 gyro gunsight version.

Yes --- July - November, 1944 was the conversion cycle for P-51B/C (and D-5's) to K-14's for 8th AF. The conversion required some modification to the panel as well as the instrument hood.

Thanks Bill, especially about the mod to the instrument cowl. This isn't always clear in pics, where the cowl was cut-back to allow the large sight-head to fit under the windscreen.
Glider's pic also reminded me that the P51B/C also had the 'back-up' ring and bead sight, as shown. The 'bead' was mounted as a 'post' on the cowling in front of the windscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back