P-51D gun bay door detail please

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's the pics I promised. sorry that some are on the small side, that's the way I received them.
They show the Upper feedway door, the main gun bay, the outer side of the upper feedway door with the latches open, and the K14 gunsight and cockpit. Note that the line around the 'basic six' instruments was, in WW2, yellow tape. It was designed to focus the attention easily on these vital instruments, when a pilot could be tired and stressed, often flying in very poor weather conditions, on a long trip across Europe.
I hope these are helpful.
Terry.

Attachments

• Mustang gunsight etc 001.jpg
    Mustang gunsight etc 001.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Mustang gunsight etc 002.jpg
    Mustang gunsight etc 002.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Mustang gunsight etc 004.jpg
    Mustang gunsight etc 004.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 94
  • Mustang gunsight etc 007.jpg
    Mustang gunsight etc 007.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Mustang gunsight etc 009.jpg
    Mustang gunsight etc 009.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Mustang gunsight etc 008.jpg
    Mustang gunsight etc 008.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Mustang gunsight etc 010.jpg
    Mustang gunsight etc 010.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Mustang gunsight etc 011.jpg
    Mustang gunsight etc 011.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 105
one additional WWII comment - the plywood floor was dominantly painted OD inside the cockpit.
Whoops. I couldn't find detail and painted it timber colour but that was before I found this forum. It won't get seen too much and I beg forgivenes:|

That's helpful info Drgondog, I'll remeber it for the next P51. All references normally say the floor was varnished plywood, with the central well in OD or Interior Green, and even restored actual aircraft have this. thanks for sharing the 'real' info! Always though it strange that North American would leave the floor 'plain'.

That's helpful info Drgondog, I'll remeber it for the next P51. All references normally say the floor was varnished plywood, with the central well in OD or Interior Green, and even restored actual aircraft have this. thanks for sharing the 'real' info! Always though it strange that North American would leave the floor 'plain'.

The standard terminology for the color was, IIRC, Interior Green 661 and it was same on floor and interior cockpit walls for all the North American built Mustangs. The RAAF may have done something different for their licensed versions?

Looking at 'used' WWII and Korea vets it is hard to tell because many floors are scuffed to the bare wood.

Thanks again! That's confirmed what I thought from studying a portion of one WW2 photo I have of a 8th USAAF machine. No more 'wood' floors for me then!

Hello!
I`m new here and my english writing is terrible, but I have sam pictures of gunbay taken from the internet and I can send them to you. I think I can´t post them here cos they can be copy righted. Please send your mail adres to me an I will sen them directly. Greatings from Finland. Marek

Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back