P-61 Black Widow

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, but the Luftwaffe certainly had it right with those dinky gray-tone camoflages on Nightfighters, and I certainly believe it had alot to do with their good kill-rate against Bomber Command, for all our gunners' vigilance....From my own Army experience, all black isn't necessarily the best thing, depending on varying night conditions and terrain, but 'gloss black' is definately out!!....

Gemhorse

did you say grey tones ?

how about this with a RLM 76 blue base and green-violet welle pattern on a Ju 88G-6 in 1945

Attachments

• farger_339.jpg
    farger_339.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 652
no actrually not with two guys and two machine sprayers. The scheme was for ground concealment but also in 1945 there were all RLM blue 76 Ju 88G-6's. Ace Martin "Tino" Becker flew one out of Stab IV./NJG 6

Black undersdies in the matt finish was re-intorduced to some German craft for night ground attack missions at low altitudes in 1945. RLM 76 with Grey-violet blotches on Bf 110G-4's and Ju 88G-1's and later G-6's was standard fit for 1944 through war's end.

E ♪

Yeah, sorry there Lanc, it was a 'quick reply'.....

I reckon they wouldn't have taken that long to paint, these paint schemes on the Nf's....I'm a qualified Auto Refinisher besides being a Signartist, and one just reduces the spray-fan nozzle from it's usual oblong pattern, down to a round one, then it's just a matter of the distance of the spray-gun from the surface that's being painted....for that pattern, it's a 'swiggly' movement keeping the gun moving all the time....for a blotch pattern, it's just a series of very quick squirts, blotch, blotch, blotch, and one can create it with different colours....

The Germans were really into colours, as Erich's pointed-out, their 'lozenge' pattern has had a rebirth down here lately, they had a big Airshow recently down in the South Island of WWI fighters, something like 5 Fokker Triplanes and others, including the British ones, all flying around in mock dogfights, and those lozenge pattern colours were simply amazing to see....some can actually be very hard to see at a distance against the ground, a fact they later employed with success in WWII.....

To do the NF camo on a model, by brush it's best to have it loaded, then wipe-off most of it on a cloth so it's sort-of more a 'dry-brush', then blotch, blotch etc., and the effect of a dry-brush gives a soft edge around the blotch....If you have an airbrush, crank the pressure and the jet right down, and for the blotch, it's a very light, quick squirt, and for squiggles, keep it moving in tight squiggle patterns, it's a trick of the right jet-down of the spray and the distance from the model's surface that will define the 'fluffy-edged' effect....- It's years since I've done models, but it was my favourite part, right down to dry-brushing exhaust and gun stains with matt black, and little dashes of gray to denote flaking paint on a 'well-used' fighter....Won a prize for it once !!......Thinking of getting back into it sometime, maybe 1/48th scale....Any of you guys into models ???

Love the pic, Mossy, it looks like that is the last Mosquito flying, RR299, that unfortunately crashed in 1996...I'm also actually using that very same lettering style [Magneto] on a Chemist shop at present, but in a handpainted gold-chrome finish....Magneto looks very much like the style used in Car-names that were made out of chrome during the '50's and '60's, that they put around on the vehicles....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._184.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._184.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 638
Have a look at the Model kits thread, I've got 46 around my room (mainly RAF)
Thanks for the info on that Mossie, I didn't know there was one flying then- any plans to restore it or not?
I find those camoflage schemes difficult, I prefer RAF Coastal Command colours

Ive recently got into modelling, 4 models complete, one half finished and about 4 ready and waiting. I decided today that im going to get every Italian plane in 1:72 form. and have my very own RA 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back