P-61 Black Widow

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

it's ok you don't have to be ashamed of your love for me, it's perfectly natural allot of people feel love for me...........

hate to be a hard nose but moderators can this page and the last 4-5 posts of the previous page be deleted ? this has tainted the forum thread....

v/r ~ E

don't worry about people thinking you're a "hard nose" Erich, you're well respected on this forum and we need someone to get us back online or we'll never stop.........

Yeah, thanks for your reply to my earlier post Erich, gloss black paint on a Nightfighter has gotta be the worse choice, might as well left it unpainted...
I really applaud the Luftwaffe's choices of night camoflage, they obviously went to a lot of trouble to research what was effective, even through to painting the tail fin on some Ju-88G's to appear as if they were the earlier 'A' series...

IMHO, the US would have made a better choice if they had used the F7F Tigercat as a Nightfighter. This to me was an aircraft that would've been a complimentary NF to the Mosquito in the ETO, they did indeed convert 66 to F7F-2N's between Oct. 1944 and Aug. 1945, but they were assigned to VMF[N]-533 formed at Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas. This unit reached Okinawa on 14th Aug. 1945, the day before the surrender !....

If only they had sent more over in 1943 than the one the RAF RN tested at Farnborough back then, but the US seemed to dawdle alot with their new designs, and anything that needed extra developments usually got sent on to the Navy, then the Marines....valuable time was lost, considering the Tigercat's first flight trials occurred back in April 1940. One can only assume they didn't see it's terrific potential in Europe, ''if it's got wings n' wheels, it should go on a Carrier''...The P-61 was a better choice for the PTO, as it had great ground-attack and bombing potentials as well, but the F7F-2N should have gone to the ETO where it's contribution to lowering the Night Bombers attrition-rate would have been greatly appreciated........

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._207.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._207.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 559
but the RAF would have been reuctant to use them whatever really, we had faith in the mossie and it wouldn't have been much help to us until 1944 at the earliest.........

Gemhorse said:
Yeah, thanks for your reply to my earlier post Erich, gloss black paint on a Nightfighter has gotta be the worse choice, might as well left it unpainted...
I really applaud the Luftwaffe's choices of night camoflage, they obviously went to a lot of trouble to research what was effective, even through to painting the tail fin on some Ju-88G's to appear as if they were the earlier 'A' series...

Believe it or not what we have found today with our helicopters is that all black at night is a terrible choice of camoflage and would be terrible for a night fighter also. All black makes the aircraft look like a black hole in the sky and the more it moves the more easily it is able to be picked out especially with a cloudy sky or with a clear sky showing lots of stars. The best choice actually is a pattern of greys to make it blend in with the actuall sky.

it's a series of interlinked shooting stars, and a small fragment of one is hurtiling towards us, there, look, you can see the flame tailing behind it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back