P-61 Black Widow

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Mossie was superlative. Can tell you for a fact that no RAF crew was going to change over. There was American pride however and of course seeing this oversized black thing on the tarmac brought individual pride, it being quite menacing looking.

For December 44 the 422nd had 18 kills and the 425th nfs had 8. I have the official micorfische histories for both squadrons

The 425th nfs had 1 ace crew the 422nd had 3 ace crews.

E ~

Disagree! I would pick the P-61C over any Mosquito any day.

The P-61C never saw combat. Pilots who flew the C said that while some of the performance was improved, the manueverability suffered because of the added weight. When it comes to allied nightfighters, the Mossie was the clear choice.

evangilder said:
The P-61C never saw combat. Pilots who flew the C said that while some of the performance was improved, the manueverability suffered because of the added weight. When it comes to allied nightfighters, the Mossie was the clear choice.

The weight difference was less than 10%. I doubt it affects anything substantially. Especially since power loading was better meaning the rate of turn must have been better!

pasoleati said:
evangilder said:

The weight difference was less than 10%. I doubt it affects anything substantially. Especially since power loading was better meaning the rate of turn must have been better!

10% is actually a whole lot, especially when it comes to climb rate and speed and overall maneuaverability. For example when we fly out Blackhawks without passengers we can typically reach a good climb rate (this is not max power stuff) of about 1000ft per min (which is about what you want to keep the passengers confortable), a speed of about 140 knots at about 68-70% power (much faster if we pull in 100% or more power), and we are quite maneuaverable. If we just put in 11 passengers that is not a whole lot of weight, it effects the center of gravity which effects the maneauverability we can still pull in about 1000ft but have to use more power and to reach 140 knots we have to pull in about 75-78% power. All because of a measly 1000lb of weight. Weight effects alot.

If you don't believe that the manueverability was effected, you haven't spoken with any pilots that flew them. This has been stated by many vets that flew them. It was never proven in combat either.

Most pilots who flew the P-61C felt that the increase in weight made the aircraft a lot less maneuverable than the A or B versions. The service life of the P-61C was quite brief, since it was being quickly outclassed by jet aircraft. Most were used for test and research purposes. By the end of March 1949, most P-61Cs had been scrapped. Two went onto the civilian market and two others went to museums.
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p61_4.html

evangilder said:
If you don't believe that the manueverability was effected, you haven't spoken with any pilots that flew them. This has been stated by many vets that flew them. It was never proven in combat either.

Most pilots who flew the P-61C felt that the increase in weight made the aircraft a lot less maneuverable than the A or B versions. The service life of the P-61C was quite brief, since it was being quickly outclassed by jet aircraft. Most were used for test and research purposes. By the end of March 1949, most P-61Cs had been scrapped. Two went onto the civilian market and two others went to museums.
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p61_4.html

These pilots claim "a lot less maneuverable". This IMHO means several tens of percent decrease in rate of roll and rate of turn. I seriously doubt it.

And the Blackhawk example was a poor one. 1000 lbs in relation to its weight is wholly different ballgame than a 2000 lbs in relation to P-61´s weight.

pasoleati said:
These pilots claim "a lot less maneuverable". This IMHO means several tens of percent decrease in rate of roll and rate of turn. I seriously doubt it.

And the Blackhawk example was a poor one. 1000 lbs in relation to its weight is wholly different ballgame than a 2000 lbs in relation to P-61´s weight.

Every little bit of weight effects the flying performance and characteristics. I am sorry but you are wrong if you dont believe it.

lets make it very clear right now, the P-61C did not complete any combat ops during WW 2, so it needs to be negated and cannot be compared with any Allied or German WW twin engine a/c for a performance standard...........

pasoleati said:

You can choose to believe it or not, but these are people that actually flew the airplane.

And Erich is correct, it was never flown in combat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back