P38 as V1 interceptor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Please accept my apology for such breech of etiquette.

Reading about the V-1 shoot downs, reminded me of the V-2 claim. Didn't think there were enough, (if any) other V-2 kills, to support a separate thread.

Again,

My sincere apology - It must have been traumatic to read about the B-24/V-2 when expecting to read about the P-38/V-1.

Please accept my apology for such breech of etiquette.
Apology not necessary...
Reading about the V-1 shoot downs, reminded me of the V-2 claim. Didn't think there were enough, (if any) other V-2 kills, to support a separate thread.
A new thread on that would have been ok
Again,

My sincere apology - It must have been traumatic to read about the B-24/V-2 when expecting to read about the P-38/V-1.

Coffee only ran up one nostril, so the trama was limited.....

Apology not necessary...
A new thread on that would have been ok

Coffee only ran up one nostril, so the trama was limited.....

Can we discuss coffee/nostril trauma? I don't think there is enough of that to start a new thread….

The book "Diver! Diver! Diver!" lists all V-1 claims, there's none for P-38s. P-47s seem to be the most prolific of the USAAF fighters, with about 15 kills claimed.

It's always interesting when assumptions made from performance metrics don't equate with what was historically accomplished or performed.
Good lesson learned here.

Not even in the same class as the Tempests, Mustangs and Spits actually used.

They did try a P-47M (hot rodded P-47D), but they never got it to work.
The P-47M was flying a year before the first V-1 launch and did not arrive until after the V-1 threat was gone.

When they first arrived they had engine reliability problems but after replacing all engines things started to work better.
It was actually the fastest U.S. fighter in Europe by a long margin.
Its short range brought about the P-47N solution.

There was air launched V1s by He111s flying from Dutch bases.

The British used AWAC Wellingtons to vector interceptors to the V1s.

The last enemy action of any kind on British soil occurred on 29 March 1945, when a V-1 struck Datchworth in Hertfordshire.

The Mustangs and Spits used were in the 360 mph class at sea level. So was the P-38.

At 2,500 feet most were in the 375 mph calls and so was the P-38.

But I can't recall any P-38's being used for the task.

From the WW2 performance testing site I get 345mph with 100/130 fuel. The P-38 was tested with 100/150 but its hard to get data, best I can see is 355mph.

FWIW, 150 was used on Mosquito V-1 chasers.

Yes and no. It was the fastest at high altitude. But at low altitude even a "usual" Merlin P-51 was as fast.

P-47 Performance Tests

P-47M
Report No. ES-300

1.(c) High Speed at 5,000 ft. with 2100 BHP 350 MPH
2. (c) High Speed at 5,000 ft. with 2800 BHP 384 MPH

ARMY AIR FORCES
MATERIEL CENTER
Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio
6 October 1944
Comparison of P-47D, P-47M and P-47N Performance

Code:
                         P-47D   P-47M   P-47N
High Speed at S.L.         345     367     359

How does that comapre?

How does that compare?

Well, pretty well : on the same website you'll see that the P-51D was good for about the same speed as a P-47M at 5,000 ft. All versions of the P-47 had a decent speed for their time at low altitude, but it wasn't where they excelled.

Methinks you misread my previous post.

Well, pretty well : on the same website you'll see that the P-51D was good for about the same speed as a P-47M at 5,000 ft. All versions of the P-47 had a decent speed for their time at low altitude, but it wasn't where they excelled.

Methinks you misread my previous post.

You were pointing out that a P-51B or D could match those speeds without need of PN150 fuel and extra boost.

Ah, now I understand what you actually inferred !

No, by "usual" I just meant "common", as produced by thousands instead of the few P-47Ms. ;)

EDIT : Typo: P-47M.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back