P3C Orion - Paint question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
Not exactly a WWII plane and this is my first post here.

I am currently working on a 1/72 P3C Orion for my former squadron, and have the initial paint scheme of white/flat gull gray. I have 3 more kits to complete and would like the newer paint scheme which looks like a faded gray.

Does anyone know what color paint I should use?

In addition I am not sure if I should put a based coat down, put decals on, then put a light coat over the decals.

Thank you.

Jon

Which kind of camo scheme do you mean? The one in the second and third picture?

Attachments

• P3C Orion _1.jpg
    P3C Orion _1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 209
  • P3C Orion _2.jpg
    P3C Orion _2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 206
  • P3C Orion _3.jpg
    P3C Orion _3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Hmm not sure where my reply went to LOL, I'm new at this.

The top left bird is from VP-46 and clearly has the markings on top of the paint. I have seen them with the markings slightly covered with paint. I'm not sure what color to use.

Secondly I have struggled for years with the proper material and method to put guide wires from the tail to the fuselage and have used super glue and gray thread. It's both messy and the thread is a dust magnet. Any suggestions?

Thank you by the way,

Jon

All is fine with your answer. It hit the correct place here. And welcome to the site Mate.

But let's go step by step OK?

I have found one more shot of Orion. The grey looks a little bit darker than in the first picture posted above. So which one do you mean?

Attachments

• p3c-orion-_4.jpg
    p3c-orion-_4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 106
Wurger,

Thank you that's the one! That paint scheme has confused me for years and when I got out of the Navy in 1992 all my squadrons birds were that paint scheme. It doesn't look to be flat gull gray like the 2 tone earlier scheme and again I'm not sure if I should lightly spray over the decals once I put them on.

By the way, I love the Polish flag. I'm a Polish Amerian (Kopczyk) and use Copcheck for my screen name.

Last edited:
Oh.. so you are my fellow-countryman. Great. Where does your family come from here in Poland?

You have said you were making the 1/72 scale model. I've assumed it was plastic kit of Revell or Hasegawa wasn't it?

Hi copcheck!

I was with VP-65 for 5 years - also worked on the P-3 production line at Burbank and Palmdale. The white and grey schemes were the traditional schemes of the mid 1960s through the late 1980s early 1990s. There was some variation where the gray and white separated around the stars and bars on the side of the fuselage, but I'm certain all B and C models were painted like the 2nd and 3rd photos posted by Wurger. The dark gray flat paint was used the time I was in. It was supposed to be radar absorbing but was a bear to keep clean. Being a former AD we had a lot of "fun" writing messages to the aircrews on the inside #2 and #3 nacelle doors with our greasy hands or when we wore mechanic's gloves. We also did some impromptu "nose art" to the dismay of our maintenance chiefs. The top scheme came in around 2000 if I remember correctly as the VP air wing gave up in the flat gray paint. When aircraft were funneled through SDLM they went back to the squadrons with that scheme.

Glad to see another VP sailor on here!

Hasegawa.

I have one of the Revell kits left as well, but really and not impressed with it. It does not even have a front window.

My family, paternal and maternal came to the US at the turn of the 20th century. I am not sure where in Poland they came from, but would love to find out one day.

Last edited:
Flyboyj,

I was in VP-50 out of Moffett Field, CA from 89-92.

Westpac to Adak and another to Cubi Pt. I miss those days truly. Nice to see another brown shoe sailor here as well.

Last edited:
Hasegawa.

My family, paternal and maternal came to the US at the turn of the 20th century. I am not sure where in Poland they came from, but would love to find out one day.

OK. I see.

Back to the Orion. Hasegawa.... copied that. So have you decided to make the camo with the grey colour overall? Is the camo scheme offered for the kit?

Very cool.

I was a SELRES with 65' 97-02. One Westpac one det to Kadena. After that did my yearly "two weeks" at the base - just worked out better for me that way.

Welcome to the forum!

I think I want to make 1 or 2 with the camo pattern. 2 of the kits are very small and I can't remember the scale off hand; I'm at work right now.

what are you thoughts on the decals, should I lightly spray over them?

Also, any thoughts on the guide wires?

thank you again,

Jon

**Edit, I just found the other scale it's is 1/144 and a little tricky for me to pull off the two tone scheme. I'm thinking the camo scheme would be easier for those kits.

Last edited:
OK. Now I have to leave for 30min. But I'll get back soon. Then we can continue..

Last edited:
Welcome to the club! I can't help with the exact colour of the greys you need, but I'm sure Wojtek or someone can. As for the markings, they're not oversprayed, but 'Lo vis', being painted as usual, but with lighter tones. Decals for these are available, certainly for stars and bars and letters/numbers, from various decal manufacturers, and a search of the Squadron web-site in the 'States, or Hannant's in the UK, should fins some suitable ones.
For the antenna wires etc, in this scale, use either very fine stretched sprue, 'invisible' mending thread, or, as Wurger does, a fine thread from a ladies stocking. (Make sure the lady isn't wearing it!).
Fix at one end with a spot of superglue, allow to set, then pull taught and fix the other end the same way.
Looking forward to seeing the finished model(s).

I got back.....

THX Terry. :D For these antenna wires I use the kind of thread. These of graphit and grey colours are very nice.Also these black can be used , no problem.

Back to the Light Gull Grey. It should be a gloss paint. I have had a look around the net and found the FS number for the paint. It is FS 16440. But also can be FS26440/36440. The light grey colour was used for Orions with the two-tone camo, I mean the White over the Grey one. And for those painted overall with the grey. But it can be seen from different pictures, that there are several shades of 16440 depending on who did the painting . So there is no need to get very pedantic about colors I think.

The matter of the Dark Gull Grey for low vis camo is still indecisive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back