PAINT MATCH FOR A6M

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
How close do you think this is for a match? I know it's a profile and the color of the picture is pretty bang on to the model. The paint is Polly Scale "Old Concrete"

Capture.JPG

002.JPG

Geo

Ya know, they keep on with the "bamboo green" thing, but Japanese colors had a habit of fading out. Much like our early paint, it could fade out to anything but the original color.
The question is; Are you happy with it?
If yes, then, great.
If no, then repaint it.
Personally, I like it.

yep, Japanese aircraft aged quickly because the paint faded so badly. it looks good to me

As the old engineer's saying goes - "If it looks right, it is right". Looks good enough to me, not that I know more than b*gg*r all about Japanese aircraft and colours.

Polyscale railroad acrylic 414317 Concrete is the colour used by the look of it.

the zero colour has been referred to as Olive grey and Grey-Green also the fabric surfaces are a Light Grey

There are supposedly 2 differing colours for the Zero that above and another which is more brown, referred some times as I3 Tsuchi-Iro or Earth Colour, it is also argued that these colours are the same but from differing manufacturers or suppliers hence the variations, other say they are different colours! the colour(s) continue to be studied...

There are tamiya and Model Master mixes that have been done to match Zero relics.

Nice model wayne. that seems a shade more grey than fubars. Might just be the photgraphy....

You can really see the contrasting colour in the control surfaces.

What tamiya colours did you use if you dont mind answering 50 questions?

Nice model wayne. that seems a shade more grey than fubars. Might just be the photgraphy....

You can really see the contrasting colour in the control surfaces.

What tamiya colours did you use if you dont mind answering 50 questions?

Photography always differs through many factors, I try to get the photo's to replicate the colours as best I can for viewing...so they look as accurate as I can get them...my Zero is 1/32 for a 1/48 scale the colour should be lightened slightly for the scale effect. Also bear in mind the early Zeroes were Glossy and not Matt which is how most depict them, either of these ways will display the colour slightly differently.

In good pics of Zeros you can clearly see the difference of the control surfaces to the main airframe.

Tamiya Colour mixes as follows Michael,

Primary metal Surfaces
100 Drops XF-2 (White)
24 Drops XF-8 (Yellow)
11 Drops XF-1 (Black)
2 Drops XF-7 (Red)

Fabric Control Surfaces
105 drops Sky Grey XF19
15 drops Lt. Sea Grey XF25
20 drops Khaki XF49

Ask away Michael, help all I can...:D

THE definitive answer to this age old question...
Consulted with 2 friends that work at NASM who suggested Tamiya XF55 + XF 76 in a 6:2 ratio. I mixed up a batch and did a spray out. Then on a trip to San Antonio, TX took a side trip to the Natl. Museum of the Pacific War, in Fredericksburg where they have a artifact from Lt.Fusata Iida's A6M2 which crashed at Pearl Harbour. Curator opened the case for me and I laid the color chip next to the artifact in the SAME light. Bingo...perfect match.
NMPW Iida A6M2 Artifact.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back