painting a super-tight spiral

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apr 22, 2016
High Bridge, NJ
I want to do a 1/72 scale Croation Fiat G.50. Some of these aircraft had a super tight black spiral line on a white spinner.

Fiat G50 Freccia Croatian AF 3504 Aug 1944 02

How could I paint that accurately? It's daunting to think of doing a masking tape mask for the black line on white: the black line is so thin. Can't really paint white on black... ?

Some kind of jig to spin the prop next to a black pen?

Ideas appreciated...

Normally not a fan of painting white over black but in this case I'd make an exception. After painting the spinner black, I would cut a very thin mask, preferably using vinyl tape, and apply it in the tight pattern then paint the white. I suspect some delicate touch up hand painting with a very fine brush would be needed at the tip.

Paint the spinner white and carefully apply a series of small segments of thin black decal. Sounds tedious. It may well be. One reason why I avoid such subjects.

My wife looked at the photo and said people do similar decoration on small pottery. She reckoned you could get a small ceramics wheel and use a fine brush drawn down the spinner.

This is theory, it's not been attempted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back