Painting model aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gijive

Airman 1st Class
HI there, new to your forum so first can I say Hi

I'm a 1/72 scale aircraft man and have several models which need completing, I have always used enamal paint (brush) but fancy trying acrilic so I'm thinking about Tamiya colours.

I read with interest your debate on RAF dark green upto 1941 but my next project is a mark 1X spitfire with green/ grey colours. Green XF 27 or XF 61?

Grey for top XF-54?

Grey for bottom XF 19?

Do you have any suggestions?

Also I am half way through painting a P-40 warhawk, Flying Tigers model and am having trouble with the brown. Humbrol enamals this time.

Thanks for your time

For the top painting of Spitfire use Dark Green FS34095 - Humbrol30 - Tamiya XF61, Ocean Grey FS36197 - Humbrol106 - Tamiya XF54.For undresides use Medium Sea Grey FS36270 - Humbrol 64 - Tamiya XF19

For the P-40 brown paint you can use FS30118 - Humbrol29 - Tamiya XF52. But you should remember that these AVG P-40s were painted with DuPont colours of a little bit different tonality.Here you are the firm paint numbers for these colours.

Dark Green - 71-013
Brown - 71-065
Light Grey - 71-021

Ho Ho, I just checked the colour Humbrol 90 Matt Beige Green and its very close to the colour our hall is painted, I have about 10 litres of it, so the old Bouton Paul Defiant Airfix kit might get a coat of emulsion on its nether regions LOL

I wouldn't try that Chris! Apart from the colour not sounding right, emulsion paint is far too 'thick' and heavy, and if you thin it it, it will be too streaky. Which ever way, it will not adhere to the plastic surface properly and, if it does, will very easily chip and rub/flake off.
The nearest Humbrol enamel for the RAF colours are; Dark Green No 30, Dark Earth No 29, and Sky, for which i can't find the number!

The no.23 of Humbrol enamels is really very closed the Sky type S but according to the Humbrol catalog it is Duck Egg Blue.The Sky colour is no.90

:lol: But the difference between these two colours is really not huge. The Humbrol 23 is much whitish and is much more suitable for early RAF aircraft.The no.90 much yellow-greenish and should be used for later RAF camo.

Hmm, I bought Humbrol 90 for my Hurricane I, it is called for by the Airfix instruction sheet :?: It does look too green to me, I must admit, but it's a long way to my local model shop and the undersides are getting done tomorrow night after work :twisted:

That's the one, No.23 ! There's always been a little confusion over 'Sky', as there was 'Sky type S', and later,as Wojtek said, 'Sky'. Both were called Duck Egg Blue or Duck Egg Green! Generally, I use No.23, although I haven't any at the moment, so just mix my own. If you're bothered about the shade BT, just add a small touch of white, and it'll pass! I wouldn't worry anyway, as there was so much variation up until late 1940, that the shade could look cream to greenish to blueish to yellowish!!
That's why the 'standard' became 'Sky' which, by then, was really only used for code letters and the fuselage bands, as well as some 'not as common' camouflage schemes.

Is there a No 23 equiv in Tamiya ? I guess not looking at charts, My local store only sell Tam Acrylic so if i want Humbrol Acrylic then its high postage costs thrown in from internet. I will spray Enamel but it stinks out my den for days. You would thnk as its a much used colour Tamiya would get there finge r out and do it!

Hmm, I bought Humbrol 90 for my Hurricane I, it is called for by the Airfix instruction sheet :?: It does look too green to me, I must admit, but it's a long way to my local model shop and the undersides are getting done tomorrow night after work :twisted:

That's what they quote on this Paul Defiant heep of badly molded plastic I bought form them too! LOL

While i'm here you would think that they would put 2 or 0 pilots in a two seater right? No they include one pilot figure......"Just off on me own to fly up to some Me 109's and wave at them , Chocs away!"

That's the one, No.23 ! There's always been a little confusion over 'Sky', as there was 'Sky type S', and later,as Wojtek said, 'Sky'. Both were called Duck Egg Blue or Duck Egg Green! Generally, I use No.23, although I haven't any at the moment, so just mix my own. If you're bothered about the shade BT, just add a small touch of white, and it'll pass! I wouldn't worry anyway, as there was so much variation up until late 1940, that the shade could look cream to greenish to blueish to yellowish!!
That's why the 'standard' became 'Sky' which, by then, was really only used for code letters and the fuselage bands, as well as some 'not as common' camouflage schemes.

I put it on straight out of the tin, and it looked very green at first, but now it's been drying for a 2-3 hours it looks kind of yellowish - although that might just be the light. It isn't the same colour as the lid on the tinlet anyway! I will have another look in the morning when it's dried properly, I think it will be ok though 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back