Painting over varnish.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ron Pearcy

Airman 1st Class
Feb 24, 2018
Market Harborough,UK
I'm currently building a Revell 1:32 Mk 2a Spitfire. After I had finished the built stage l primed it with an acrylic primer from a rattle can,not my normal brand unfortunately. When I came to mask and paint it, the primer and top coat,(both hand brushed acrylic), peeled off with the masking tape. What followed was a torturous few days finally getting it painted. In the end I managed to get a decent finish but had to leave off the 'day fighter' band that should have gone on the rear fuselage. I then gave the model a coat of clear acrylic varnish prior to decalling. Is it possible to paint the band on now over the varnish. I usually use Halfords primers which are brilliant and will NEVER use this other brand again.
Thanks in anticipation.

That s for a car maintenance isn't?. Therefore you got into troubles. Not always what is good for cars can be used for plastic models. Glad you managed to finish the painting.

Because I've been using Halfords (a UK car parts shop) primer for a while now (which is for cars) I thought I could use the Simoniz.
I tried the Simoniz because I get it cheap through the company I work for. That will teach me.
Do you think I can paint the band over the varnish?
Thanks.

If the paint for the band is of the same kind the varnish is, certainly you can. If you have any doubt about the kind just try to apply the varnish on separate piece of plastic and then paint the colour. If you need to use the masking tape for the band use theTamiya tape or another one but stick the pices of the tape to your hand for a while before you put it on the model. It will weaken the adhesive what should protect the varnish against the peeling off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back