PBJ-1H Guns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

KiwiSpike

Recruit
Jan 17, 2018
7250918160.86loomi8b3gowsoosggswk04w.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpg

I was browsing google when I found this image of what I'm pretty sure is a PBJ-1H, but I'm a bit confused. Isn't there supposed to be 4 50 cal.'s above the 75mm? There's what appears to be 2 of what are either 20mm cannons or 50 cal.'s.

Last edited:
That appears to be a B-25G. According to wiki the navy only got a few for trials. Wiki could be wrong or maybe the navy did send the trials aircraft into combat.
Big difference between the B-25G ( PBJ-1G) and the B-25H (PBJ-1H) was that they moved the top turret to behind the cockpit, about were the astro-dome and rdf antenna are on this aircraft. Most Gs came from the factory with just two .50s in the nose and without the side package guns, what was done in the field might be different but I doubt any units moved the turret on already existing aircraft.

23-1.jpg

For you consideration, a list of all U.S. Navy PBJs. From Joe Baugher's site....
"One B-25G was delivered to the Navy as PBJ-1G BuNo 35097"

Attachments

• buno.pdf
    684.6 KB · Views: 226
View attachment 479439
I was browsing google when I found this image of what I'm pretty sure is a PBJ-1H, but I'm a bit confused. Isn't there supposed to be 4 50 cal.'s above the 75mm? There's what appears to be 2 of what are either 20mm cannons or 50 cal.'s.
The a/c on the photo is a modified B-25G-12. This is the modification with rear (tail) gunner and non staggered fuselage windows.
b-25g-12.jpg

If you can find Phil Marchese's description of the modifications it tells it all. There are several pictures of these modified B-25 G's in the Pacific 41-st and 42-nd B.G. Some of them were used in the MTO as well (310-th B.G.). There is a movie on youtube "Winged artillery" showing a typical raid of the 41-st BG. with a mixed formation of H and modified Gs:

Basically when recognizing different B-25 variants one of the main rules is: if you see "football" antenna on top, it's a C, D or G. When it's under the belly - H or J.

Attachments

• 060605-F-1234S-023.jpg
    060605-F-1234S-023.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
There was a great article in Air Force magazine back in the 70's I think, about the B-25G with 75MM in the Med.

The Navigator was detailed to load the cannon. The firing rate was rather slow and they could get but a few rounds off on each firing pass, which usually did not hit anything. The only way to hit anything would be in a vertical dive and given that the airplane lacked dive brakes, that was not feasible.

After one unsatisfactory series of attacks the disgruntled pilot told the Nav he wanted a course home. The Nav, stripped to the waist, exhausted from loading 75MM shells as fast as he could, told the pilot, "Fly West."

The pilot informed the Nav that "Fly West" was not a proper response and that he wanted an actual course. The Nav went to his table, consulted the maps, and replied, "Sir, don't fly West. Fly 270 degrees."

On another occasion a pilot decided to go up and try out the cannon in level flight. Not understanding the timed fuse on the shells, he would twist the nose a couple of times to make sure it was armed, load, and fire. The shell would explode right after it left the cannon, 20 or 30 feet in front of the airplane . Finally giving up and heading back to base, the pilot reported he was unable to properly evaluate the cannon because the enemy antiaircraft fire in the area was absolutely terrible.

B-25G USAAF 7th AF, 41st BG, 820nd BS Date: 1944 Makin Airfield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back