PBY-5A Takeoff / Landing Roll

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GRG -All things are awkward at first. Yes a Naginata can be, but I find that with the more work into it the better you are. Do you still practice?

AS for the Mk XIVe I do like it, but all that differs from the IX is the bubble, that was added to latter IXs and the Griffon engine. As much as the Griffon is a great powerplant I like the Merlin. But both Marks were and are still great ;)

Many hail the Merlin as one of the greatest engines of the war, but im interested to know what the German equivalent was? I dont know much about German engines.

I am not shure of Specifics, but I would look at The inlines that powered the Fw-190 and some of the other big fighters. I would not say that the DB 605 series was comperable. While it proformed well the engine could never seem to marry well with the bf 109 latter like in the Gs.

But that is all me thought with out much diging. Maybe we can get some discussion on that going? ;)

The PBY was famous for its rough water performance. I saw one take off at an airshow in Vancouver harbour with RATOG. Awesome! And, on the subthread going on here, "Those who live by the sword shall be shot by those of us who have evolved!"

R Pope, thanks. As for the Rocket asist yes it is cool to see, but not practical for everyday use. AS for the Sord, it is for a more enlightened time. :) I hope we can talk more. :)

I fail to see how hacking great gobs of flesh from each other is at all "Enlightened", but to each his own. As for German engines, the DB 601 would be the closest to the early Merlin, the 603 to the later Merlin, and the 605 to the Griffon. The 603 was much larger, at 44.5 litres to the Merlin's 27. The Griffon ands 605 were close, at 36.7 and 35.7 ,respectively.

Thanks. But if the 605 and Griffon were so close why is it that the 605's proformance wasso much different? It seems that the Merlins evolved and changed better the the DB engines. Any other thoughts?

cheddar cheese said:
Many hail the Merlin as one of the greatest engines of the war, but im interested to know what the German equivalent was? I dont know much about German engines.

Kind of a side bar: recently watching a documentry on reffurbishing a bf-109 that the crankshaft was sent to Rolls-Royce to see about duplicating it - the answer was "We can't, take care of it". Says a lot about the German capabilities during a very diffucult time!

But if the 605 and Griffon were so close why is it that the 605's proformance wasso much different? It seems that the Merlins evolved and changed better the the DB engines. Any other thoughts?

remember it also depends on the aircraft it's in...............

True, but the bf 109s were very good. It is a little sad that they could not keep up the design.

Now as for the PBY it did just fine. Just as long as it was not being chased by the 109 :)

The biggest snag in developing power from German engines was the lack of high octane fuel. No octane, no boost, no big power, even nitrous wouldn't help much.

The PBY has no flaps and turns real slow and runs slow. A fighter can find itsself inside that 102 foot wing span real fast. Trying to stay with it can be hard. It could deffend itself, but a fighter can out turn it. :)

There is a book by John Cotton, "A Funny Place to Hold a War" which is about a Catalina base somewhere out in the middle of nowhere where sabotage has been going on as a plane mysteriously blows up on take-off. It would seem there is a German Sabotoar on the loose. Thought this relevant as it is interesting insight into a PBY base in Africa or somewhere remote during WW2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back