PBY-5A Takeoff / Landing Roll (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It could not land in the open water like that. Have you seen the North Atlantic on a calm day, 2 to 3 foot seas. A PBY was rated for small ways but near shore was the best. The North Atlantic was hardly ever a calm sea. Sutherlands had a little better time landing in big seas. ;)

Sunderlands were banned from landing to pick up survivors fairly soon after the start of the war as so many crashed in the attempt. It is difficult to judge the height of waves from the air and you don't get a second chance. I know a number did but it was unofficial. It was the dear old Walrus that used to land to pick up people. That takes guts.

A small story was in 1944, a Walrus picked up an American out of the sea and discovered his base was on the way home. They landed at the fighter base and no one came out to meet them. After a while a jeep hurtled up to them, slowed almost to a stop, drove slowly around the Walrus. The officer simply shook his head, muttered 'Dear God' and drove off again.

Re the Anson. I remember reading about this. It was a long time ago but if I am right it was the CO of a squadron who upgunned it with a 20mm throught the floor, waist guns and at least one extra mg in the nose. I could be totally wrong but it does ring a bell in the back of my head.

Glider, thanks for the help. I have read about the Walrus, but it just could not stay with the fet no legs. All the seaplanes save the H8K I think were not that good for open see. I thought the Sunderland was a little better then the PBY. ;)

But I do like the seaplanes. The PBM-5 needs to get more credit then it dose.

As in Martin PBM-5 Mariner

Martin_PBM_Mariner.jpg

It is no more uggly then other planes. I really liked it over what Martin replaced it with. The tail was made that way to help with the flight. It was made for long cruising. Wing looks fine to me, it is a gul wing to help with the sea spray and on a 12 or 16 hour mission they had a stove and head :)

But being a Lmberjack I can see why you think it looks poorly ;)

Maybe, but it did a lot of good work in the war and after. It as the navy JATO test bed! It really should have been used more then the PBY or the PBY should have been replaced by the Model 31, but that was not to be.

My sig mught help you see why I like it?

Why thanks. I was torn to post a seaplane or a B-24. they are the two types that I like. Fighters are very cool as well, but Bombers and Transports are what i like best. ;)

The PBM just did not get all the press, like the B-24.
Can I ask what your thoughts on Seaplanes/ amphibians are?

Yes the Emily was and is a ver nice plane. I think that amphibians should be used more with boarder patrol or drug fighting. We realy do need to get them to fight fires. But an H8K would not do wel in the back country, that wigspan would not get into alont of places ;)

You bloody engineers always complaining..."This plane is too hard to work on" - "Your stressing the airframe" - "Where's your wing gone!?" - "Why have you put the plane into power lines!?" - "Next time you land do it with the gear down" :rolleyes: Jesus christ just fix the damn thing.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back