Photo thread: Iranian Pilots (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Iranian pilots with their Hawker Audax , the Ghale Morghi airbase, Teheran in 30' ...

Iranian pilot 1920-1940.jpg

the source: the Internet

Date: September 29, 1980

Place: 8 km E of Mahshahr

Plane: F-4D Phantom II

Fate: Plane destroyed, both crew KIA.

Shot down by R-13 missile.

Crew: Kadkhodaiee, Hassan, Major; Mulla-aliakbari, Alireza, 1Lt. .

And something for Jan's Collection of "13's":

A photo of Major Kadkhodaiee wearing 13 Sq hat:

368455_594.jpg

Date: September 29, 1980

Place: 8 km E of Mahshahr

Plane: F-4D Phantom II

Fate: Plane destroyed, both crew KIA.

Shot down by R-13 missile.

Crew: Kadkhodaiee, Hassan, Major; Mulla-aliakbari, Alireza, 1Lt. .

And something for Jan's Collection of "13's":

A photo of Major Kadkhodaiee wearing 13 Sq hat:

View attachment 650161
And you have a picture for the "what is it" thread.

IMG-20220224-WA0000.jpg

11th Fighter Squadron, 1975

Standing from Right:

Delfan (RIP), Elahi, Farajollah Farasiabi (WIA), Shadian, Davood Akradi (KIA), Nasser Mohammadi-far, Hassan Kadkhodaiee Aliaderani (KIA), Mahmoud Emam (KIA), Bakhtiari, Akbar Tavangarian (POW, RIP), Seyyed Mohammad Taqi Mansour-Qoreishi (KIA), Abdol-azimi, Akbar Sayyad Bourani (RIP)

Sitting From Right:

? , Mohammad Reza Noroozi (KIA), Asghar Sepidmooy-Azar, ? , ? , Shokrollah Mar'ashi-zadeh, Nasser Dej-pasand (KIA), Abolqasem Kamrani Tareh-iee (KIA), ?

InShot_20220224_121904588.jpg

Alone, Unarmed, Unafraid

11th Tactical Recon Squadron

Standing from Right:

Nasser Montazer-ol-Qaem, Mahmoud Kangarloo, Hassan Shalchian (Commanding Officer, RIP), Mansour Nasseri, Alireza Shafagh, Faramarz Torabi (Deputy Commanding Officer, RIP), Hassan Shahraki, Farajollah Farasiabi (WIA)

Sitting From Right:

Nasser Elahi, Mohammad Ali Malek-Mohammadi, Mahdi Bakhshandeh (KIA), Mohammad Reza Noroozi (KIA), Ali Janbaz (KIA), Masoud Kurosh (KIA)

Tavangarian, Akbar

Brigadier General

View attachment 632928

DoB: September 19, 1950 - Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran.

DoD: September 24, 2019 - Tehran, Tehran, Iran.

F-5A/B Freedom Fighter
F-4E Phantom II

Senior Test Pilot
Senior Instructor pilot
I am a former USAF T-38 instructor pilot. "Tav," as he was called back then, was my student. I have a scan of his page from the yearbook of his pilot training class. Would anyone be offended if I uploaded it? I see that he recently passed away. That makes me sad because I really enjoyed having him as a student. He was a very good pilot and fearless. Another location in this net shows he was a POW at one time. I don't know if that is accurate, but I would like to find out more about his life. He appears to have enjoyed a long satisfying military fllying career since he was a Brigadier General.

Attachments

• Tav_73-02.jpeg
    Tav_73-02.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I am a former USAF T-38 instructor pilot. "Tav," as he was called back then, was my student. I have a scan of his page from the yearbook of his pilot training class. Would anyone be offended if I uploaded it? I see that he recently passed away. That makes me sad because I really enjoyed having him as a student. He was a very good pilot and fearless. Another location in this net shows he was a POW at one time. I don't know if that is accurate, but I would like to find out more about his life. He appears to have enjoyed a long satisfying military fllying career since he was a Brigadier General.
Please do!

Mohagheghi, Manoochehr

Major General

View attachment 644671

1943 - Tabriz, W. Azerbaijan, Iran

10/01/2021 - Tehran, Tehran, Iran

F-4E Phantom II Pilot

Senior Instructor Pilot

Deputy leader of Operation "Kaman 99"

Leader of Bushehr's AFB Phantoms raid on "Kaman 99"

Flew 382 Special Missions and +3500 Hours of flight with Phantom, during his career.
When he was a student pilot. Lt Mohagheghi was in the same T-38 flightroom I instructed in at Columbus AFB. MS. He was not my student. "Mo" was admired by all the instructor pilots for several reasons. He had been in the Army in Iran and transferred to aviation.! He was a having some problems with the flight program. We (instructors) discovered that to learn the T-38. Mo hand written copied the T-38 flight manual...twice. Now, that is determination we had never seen from any American students! We decided that, no matter what it took, we would make sure Mo finished the program and graduated. His entry from the pilot training class "yearbook," class 72-07

Attachments

• Mo_72-07.jpeg
    Mo_72-07.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 42
When he was a student pilot. Lt Mohagheghi was in the same T-38 flightroom I instructed in at Columbus AFB. MS. He was not my student. "Mo" was admired by all the instructor pilots for several reasons. He had been in the Army in Iran and transferred to aviation.! He was a having some problems with the flight program. We (instructors) discovered that to learn the T-38. Mo hand written copied the T-38 flight manual...twice. Now, that is determination we had never seen from any American students! We decided that, no matter what it took, we would make sure Mo finished the program and graduated. His entry from the pilot training class "yearbook," class 72-07
hunndriver - you were at Columbus AFB around 72? Did you know an IP (T-38) by the name of Bob Chamberlain?

hunndriver - you were at Columbus AFB around 72? Did you know an IP (T-38) by the name of Bob Chamberlain?
Yes. I instructed in Scorpio Flight until early 1973. Then I moved to "P-Qual" to instruct. I do not recall a T-38 IP named Chamberlain, but I can ask a few friends from then with whom I remain in contact. They might know him. The IPs from that squadron have started reunions about 6 years ago, and several of us eventually flew for FedEx, so someone may recall him.

BTW, I see you are listed as "STAFF". Is there some way to change my handle? I accidently typed a double "n" and didn't see it until I'd finished registering.

Personally, it's an honour for me to meet you. You and your colleagues have a nation's thanks and prays.

I do not know anything about him being a POW, but I asked veterans.

Well, his (and many other veterans) rank is actually "Brigadier General 2nd Rank", an in-betweent rank made by new regime, they've deleted the "Arteshbod" - 4star General / General - rank and held "Sepahbod" - 3star General / Lieutenant General - as the highest available rank for those who die / killed while they hold the rank of "Sarlashgar" - Major General / 2star General -.

Also if you can remember any other names, from your class, or other classes, I would be very happy to help you about their fates.

BTW, I see you are listed as "STAFF". Is there some way to change my handle? I accidently typed a double "n" and didn't see it until I'd finished registering.
I'll try to change your handle - Bob Chamberlain was my father in law and was an IP at Columbus. Another IP that I know was there was Doug Gilliss

I'll try to change your handle - Bob Chamberlain was my father in law and was an IP at Columbus. Another IP that I know was there was Doug Gilliss
I've queried the 10 guys I keep in touch with from the 1972 era and later.
Personally, it's an honour for me to meet you. You and your colleagues have a nation's thanks and prays.

I do not know anything about him being a POW, but I asked veterans.

Well, his (and many other veterans) rank is actually "Brigadier General 2nd Rank", an in-betweent rank made by new regime, they've deleted the "Arteshbod" - 4star General / General - rank and held "Sepahbod" - 3star General / Lieutenant General - as the highest available rank for those who die / killed while they hold the rank of "Sarlashgar" - Major General / 2star General -.

Also if you can remember any other names, from your class, or other classes, I would be very happy to help you about their fates.
There is a photo of F-4 crew members from the 11th fighter squadron (F-4) 1975 on this page of the forum that lists Tav as "(POW,RIP)" The photo is pretty blurry, so it is hard to tell, but that sure looks like him standing 4th from the left end.

OK. One of my contacts replied that he remembers both Chanberlain and Gilliss, especially Gilliss. He remembers that Gilliss was a tall, thin 1st LT.

There is a photo of F-4 crew members from the 11th fighter squadron (F-4) 1975 on this page of the forum that lists Tav as "(POW,RIP)" The photo is pretty blurry, so it is hard to tell, but that sure looks like him standing 4th from the left end.
These photos come from personal albums or Army Archives, it's hard to track down where and when they were uploaded first time, and by whom. Mostly lack any kind of info.

I follow different Aviation pages in Instagram (including some veterans, as well), reading captions and comments as well as asking about their names, fates, memories or whatever else.

But aging has taken its toll, as well as some systematic problems, mentioned earlier in this thread or other ones.

Only one or two (regime idols) names are common in Google search, TV, or books, even searching by their name, will bring up those names, instead of searched ones.

About Tavangarian, I have no info about where, when and how he became POW.

OK. One of my contacts replied that he remembers both Chanberlain and Gilliss, especially Gilliss. He remembers that Gilliss was a tall, thin 1st LT.
Very cool! Bob Chamberlain was my father in law, Doug was his best friend. Bob went on to fly B-52s and then became a test pilot, got to fly a whole bunch of aircraft. He was the production test pilot on the B-1B program and set a bunch of speed and payload records. Retired around 1990, he flew 15 years for United. After retiring from United he dabbled in flying L29s and L39s. He was killed flying an L29 in 2009.

Doug was his best friend. Got out of the AF as a Captain, flew as a corporate pilot for a few years, eventually became a lawyer. Doug was big in the L29/ L39 community but sadly he was killed in n L39 crash in 2012.

I had great times with both of them. Doug was a hoot, always working some deal but would give you the shirt off his back. Bob helped me become a CFII, really miss them both.

This was taken around 2006

thumbnail_IMG_1762.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread - we look forward hearing about your career! Welcome to the forum!

Very cool! Bob Chamberlain was my father in law, Doug was his best friend. Bob went on to fly B-52s and then became a test pilot, got to fly a whole bunch of aircraft. He was the production test pilot on the B-1B program and set a bunch of speed and payload records. Retired around 1990, he flew 15 years for United. After retiring from United he dabbled in flying L29s and L39s. He was killed flying an L29 in 2009.

Doug was his best friend. Got out of the AF as a Captain, flew as a corporate pilot for a few years, eventually became a lawyer. Doug was big in the L29/ L39 community but sadly he was killed in n L39 crash in 2012.

I had great times with both of them. Doug was a hoot, always working some deal but would give you the shirt off his back. Bob helped me become a CFII, really miss them both.

View attachment 659356

Sorry to hijack the thread - we look forward hearing about your career! Welcome to the forum!
I just can say their souls rest in peace.

Very interesting for me and thank you for sharing their story.

:pilotsalute::pilotsalute:

View attachment 659356

My "career" was typical of late 1960s USAF pilots - there was a war on and they needed bodies! Pilot training in 68-69, F-100 training and combat tour 69-70, T-38IP and FCF pilot 70-75 at Columbus, non-flying job 75&76. AT-38 IP 76-78. Ejected from USAF 1978.
Flew Falcon Fanjet F/O, all 3 seats of 727, and all 3 seats of DC-10 for 25+ years at FedEx with final 14 years as DC-10 Cap. Retired 2004. I don't remember what got me interested in what happened to my UPT students last years, but I stumbled onto this site via Googling their names.
I've been interested in the feats of guys like Chamberlain and Gilliss, but those are expensive hobbies with not too sterling a survival rate when the old technology fails. I once met a guy who flew Starfighters on active duty and was still flying them with a civilian group. He died in a Hunter Hawker crash with engine failure on takeoff. My last "hoorah" was a ride in an F-100F in 2003.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back