Pics of Aircraft in Odd Places

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There's something about WW1 aircraft crashes because the aircraft were barely fast enough to kill you:

1656391344176.png

1656391362168.png

Love this next one, particularly the presence of the ladder leaning up against the tree. In case people are wondering about the roundel on the lower wing, the aircraft is a DH6. It was purpose-built as a trainer and was designed from the beginning for ease of repair. The outer wing sections are all identical so you could take a starboard upper wing off one aircraft and use it as the starboard lower wing on a different airframe, hence why photos of DH6s show all sorts of different roundel and doping variations (e.g. a clear doped airframe and wings with one lower wing wearing PC10 dope on the upper surface together with a roundel).

1656391395177.png

1656391478701.png

Last edited:
There's something about WW1 aircraft crashes because the aircraft were barely fast enough to kill you:

The down side to this was you were likely to survive but with horrific injuries...

Seeing those tree impacts, this display in the Aviation Heritage Centre at Omaka.

50191495938_d2373ba6ce_b.jpg
Knights of the Sky 46

50192303257_ec5c9a9d10_b.jpg
Knights of the Sky 49

The German pilot with his back to us is lighting the British pilot's smoke...

No worries Dave, speaking of aircraft in odd places, New Zealand is something of a Mecca for out of the ordinary types with one-off aircraft around the country, from an Airco DH.5 reproduction to a de Havilland Sea Hornet undergoing restoration...

I've always wondered how New Zealand became such a hotspot for rare types.

It's a good question as to how, as there has been rather wealthy individuals who have done their own thing, the activities of Tim Wallis, Peter Jackson etc have seen lots of warbird/vintage aircraft activity. The proliferation of flying Polikarpov I-16s was as a result of Wallis and the resurrections of extinct Great War types can be pinned on Jackson. But we've got a de Havilland Mosquito production line going thanks to the late Glyn Powell and Avspecs, but also Pioneer Restorations have a reputation for P-40 restorations, many of the more recent P-40 restos having been done by Pioneer. They most recently did a P-39. They're also doing the Sea Hornet and a Vought Sikorsky Kingfisher.

It's a good question as to how, as there has been rather wealthy individuals who have done their own thing, the activities of Tim Wallis, Peter Jackson etc have seen lots of warbird/vintage aircraft activity. The proliferation of flying Polikarpov I-16s was as a result of Wallis and the resurrections of extinct Great War types can be pinned on Jackson. But we've got a de Havilland Mosquito production line going thanks to the late Glyn Powell and Avspecs, but also Pioneer Restorations have a reputation for P-40 restorations, many of the more recent P-40 restos having been done by Pioneer. They most recently did a P-39. They're also doing the Sea Hornet and a Vought Sikorsky Kingfisher.

Didn't they also have the Me262 "Black X" project back in the 90's, or was that an outfit in Oz?

Didn't they also have the Me262 "Black X" project back in the 90's, or was that an outfit in Oz?

I think that's the example at the Australian War Memorial, I don't think one's ever made it here.

37925918016_17009843e4_b.jpg
DSC_5777

There have been Ju 87 and Bf 110 projects come to New Zealand and through a lack of funding have parted these shores. I remember seeing one of the Stuka airframes on the back of a flatbed at an airshow back in the 80s, it was one of the airframes that was held by the Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin. Dunno what happened to the Bf 110 though.

48144282236_5e5e4e8ce0_b.jpg
Stuka

Users who are viewing this thread

Back