Picture of the day (general).... (6 Viewers)

Romanian PZL P.11 on skids the net
Romanian PZL P.11 on skids the net.png
 
I think it's actually a Lycoming.
 
Jane "Candy" Kendeigh, at 22-year-old and newly graduated....

IMG_20261006_213852.jpg


IMG_20261006_213441.jpg


IMG_20261006_212956.jpg


IMG_20261006_214459.jpg


I've got nothing to add....
 
Definitely a Douglas - C-47 or C-54.
 
Last edited:
Although women in the Soviet Air Force were most famous for combat roles like the 588th Night Bomber Regiment ("Night Witches"), the Soviet Air Force relied heavily on their distaff ferry pilots to transport aircraft from U.S. bases in Alaska to Soviet airfields in Siberia, then onward to front‑line units. This was part of the Alaska–Siberia (ALSIB) route, a critical supply line for American Lend‑Lease planes, (including most Bell P-39s and virtually all P-63s, none of which served with American units.)
While not combat missions, these flights were hazardous: pilots faced severe Arctic weather, long distances, unreliable navigation, and scarce facilities.
p-39 ferry.jpg

Russian Night Witches.webp
 
Jiminy jillickers. Last time I try to be aviational.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back