Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The most popular cameras in those days were Canon, Minolta, & Yashica. I think they are still in business.
Good point, manta.
Minolta works as a part of Sony now. Yashica was absorbed by Kyocera decades ago.
Canon is No.1 and Nikon follows though it depends on user's favor.

Crown Prince Akihito with his Nikon S in 1954.

Source: Photography Art Exhibition Masterpiece Collection in Japan (1954)

I missed my lovely Canon PowerShot ELPH 3000 ...

I just am praying to not find that guy with sticky hands...

Nice photo of the Crown Prince, Shinpachi.

I met him 6 years earlier. A very few American school kids were selected to meet Prince Akihito and somehow I was one of them. My mother had wrapped a gift to give him when we met ( a book on Geography if I remember correctly). His entourage accepted it with thanks. A week or so later I received the book back with a typed letter from a Government Minister explaining that while the gesture was appreciated, the imperial family was not permitted to receive gifts. I still have that letter here somewhere.

Did Akihito receive your gift directly or indirectly in the palace to return later?
I may ask the course of that event to the imperial household agency.

If I remember correctly, I handed it directly to Akihito who handed it to one of his aids. Maybe I can find the name of the Minister who sent me that letter. Perhaps you may recognize his name.
I am goint to tell your disappointment to the agency and Akihito within a few weeks as his 88th birthday is December 23rd.
If you can find out the Minister's name, that would be perfect.

Representative Japanese emperor's horses.

Kinkasan-go (金華山号 = Mt.Kinkasan) for Emperor Meiji (1852-1912)

Skelton and stuffed skin of the Kinkasan-go

Shirayuki (白雪 = white snow) for Emperor Hirohito (1901-1989)

Hirohito's family horses in the postwar.
From left to right: Hatsushimo (初霜 = first frost), Hatsuyuki (初雪 = first snow), Mineyuki (峰雪 = summit snow), Shirafuji (白藤 = white wistaria) and Ieshimo (家霜 = home frost)

Source: 天皇の御料馬 | 大江戸歴史散歩を楽しむ会

I am goint to tell your disappointment to the agency and Akihito within a few weeks as his 88th birthday is December 23rd.
If you can find out the Minister's name, that would be perfect.
Shinpachi, I was not disappointed; the imperial family must conform to a protocol which I understand now. As a boy this was unknown to me. Please give my greetings and best wishes to Akihito if you get the chance. I will look for the letter.

Crown Prince Akihito with his Nikon S in 1954.
A friend of mine was n the USAF and was in Japan in the 1960's. He bought a Nikormat camera and went to a famous high end restaurant in Tokyo that was atop a building in hope of being able to take pictures of the city. He walked up to the reception desk at the restaurant and received a frown from the man there. He clearly was not the type of clientele they were used to seeing. He held up his camera and said "Nikormat." The man's frown turned to a look of respect. He was allowed to take his pictures of Tokyo.

Shinpachi, I was not disappointed; the imperial family must conform to a protocol which I understand now. As a boy this was unknown to me. Please give my greetings and best wishes to Akihito if you get the chance. I will look for the letter.
Being impressed with your generosity, manta, I agree with you.
Frankly, I am interested in the minister of the agency at the time as there were two ministers in 1948 as a turning point for minimization of costs for the royal family. The imperial household agency was, and probably is, controlled by the retired police bureaucrats and the descendants of the nobility. The former was/is in charge of administrative procedures while the latter takes care of the royal family directly.
Thanks!

Nikon SLRs in the early time were heavy and sturdy. I still love such reliability.

My first SLR is a Yashica FX-2. SOLID! Love that camera. The shutter got draggy under high light, low temperature conditions and I bought an FX-3 to replace it. Worked just fine but not nearly as solid. I also have a Minolta SRT-200, which I bought when I found that suitable lenses for the Yashicas were not easily available; it's solid, too. And I have a Konica Autoreflex T3 a friend gave me, another real piece of tough hardware. The modern digital cameras, like the Fujifilm S2950, are just great but not nearly as satisfying to hold and not nearly as reliable, either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread