Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Frankly, I have been thinking that he resembles this guy.

51143931_605.jpg

Source: Why the world still remembers James Dean – DW – 02/08/2021

Last edited:
Hirohito had an illegitimate son in 1922.
A scoop introduced by a left-wing journalist in 1950 with actual names, dates, locations and photos.
When the status of Hirohito had fallen from God to a man, this kind of fearless report would have been possible.
Nothing comes up from Google research now.

3.jpg

Source: Truth (July 1950)

Last edited:
Hirohito had an illegitimate son in 1922.
A scoop introduced by a left-wing journalist in 1950 with actual names, dates, locations and photos.
When the status of Hirohito had fallen from God to a man, this kind of fearless report would have been possible.
Nothing comes up from Google research now.

View attachment 699399
Source: Truth (July 1950)
Aside from making a name for himself, what was the purpose of that reporter's revealing this to the public? To humiliate the Emperor? As they say, sometimes it is better to "Let sleeping dogs lie."

Aside from making a name for himself, what was the purpose of that reporter's revealing this to the public? To humiliate the Emperor? As they say, sometimes it is better to "Let sleeping dogs lie."
They Japanese left-wing people in the postwar regarded Hirohito as the war crininal and the royal family as mere tax eaters.

1.jpg

Source: Truth (April 1950)

A question in 1950 was "When will Communist China invade Taiwan?"
A conclusion by Japanese left-wing journalists was "Chinese in the mainland will not take such a risk but try to improve their position in the international community, especially in the United Nations."

24.jpg

They Japanese left-wing people in the postwar regarded Hirohito as the war crininal and the royal family as mere tax eaters.

View attachment 699500
Another story Shinpachi-

As you know, around 1949 the Communists made a concerted effort to influence the future of Japan. Large parades, demonstrations, etc were going on in Tokyo at that time. One day my Dad was riding in an Army staff car with a driver who was a fellow officer, Major E.A.P. MaCarthy (sp?) (Edgar Allen Poe!), a florid-faced Irishman who was noted for having a quick temper.

Their car was forced to stop for a big demonstration taking place in the street ahead. Seeing the US Army car, the crowd surged ahead, surrounding the car, pounding on it with their fists and striking it with their red flags, all the while yelling at the top of their lungs. Needless to say, Major MacCarthy was incensed! The crowd then began rocking the car back and forth and things were getting dangerous. MacCarthy rolled down his drivers' side window and shouted angrily "Who do you think won this war, anyway?" My Dad quickly replied "I don't think this is a good time to ask that question, Mac!"

This fell on deaf ears- things were getting ugly and the crowd was on the verge of becoming an angry, out-of-control mob. Finally, he burst forth with a loud "Do you know who I am?? I'm MacCarthy- THAT"S WHO!!!" Suddenly things quieted down, the crowd backed off and stood back respectfully as the car was permitted to drive off. Unbelievably the Japanese had mistakenly thought he had said MacArthur!

Such was the profound respect the Japanese had for the SCAP.

Another story Shinpachi-

As you know, around 1949 the Communists made a concerted effort to influence the future of Japan. Large parades, demonstrations, etc were going on in Tokyo at that time. One day my Dad was riding in an Army staff car with a driver who was a fellow officer, Major E.A.P. MaCarthy (sp?) (Edgar Allen Poe!), a florid-faced Irishman who was noted for having a quick temper.

Their car was forced to stop for a big demonstration taking place in the street ahead. Seeing the US Army car, the crowd surged ahead, surrounding the car, pounding on it with their fists and striking it with their red flags, all the while yelling at the top of their lungs. Needless to say, Major MacCarthy was incensed! The crowd then began rocking the car back and forth and things were getting dangerous. MacCarthy rolled down his drivers' side window and shouted angrily "Who do you think won this war, anyway?" My Dad quickly replied "I don't think this is a good time to ask that question, Mac!"

This fell on deaf ears- things were getting ugly and the crowd was on the verge of becoming an angry, out-of-control mob. Finally, he burst forth with a loud "Do you know who I am?? I'm MacCarthy- THAT"S WHO!!!" Suddenly things quieted down, the crowd backed off and stood back respectfully as the car was permitted to drive off. Unbelievably the Japanese had mistakenly thought he had said MacArthur!

Such was the profound respect the Japanese had for the SCAP.
One of the best stories in 1949, Neil :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back