Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

He was lucky to survive in the prison.

On June 28, 1934, new British Ambassador to Japan, Sir Robert Henry Clive, presents Letter of Credentials and Letter of Dismissal of his predecessor to His Majesty the Emperor.

His successor, Sir Robert Leslie Craigie, was to be detained due to the war on/after December 8, 1941.

Sir Robert Henry Clive and his party at the palace

Source: Press Rengo Photo News (June 1934)

1945 Japanese Traveling Dentist Yokohama WW2

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for sharing, Snautzer.
Yes, necessity is the mother of invention

Germany in February, 1944

Source: DOITU (Germany, Feb.1944)
Japan-Germany Publishers Association

A couple of years later it was still quite common to see street vendors with improvised tools plying a trade. In both these photos, the men are wearing part of their old IJA uniforms. Japan was still wretchedly poor and many could not afford clothing or much food. This was a very difficult time for the Japanese people economically and their society was undergoing profound changes as well.

As they came to my hometown once a month periodically, my mother and grandmother had enough time to prepare.....

Interesting, this thread got me thinking about "Pops" Yoshimura. He was training to be an aviator in the IJN before the war. An accident prevented him from being a pilot so, he became an aircraft mechanic.
In the 50s, he started working on motorcycles for a living. Later he was the first name in Superbike. Eddie Lawson's championship Kawasaki was tuned by Pops.
Wes Cooley too.

The man knew machines. There was a story of Yoshimura hand grinding a cam, stopping, rolling it in his palms and grinding it until it was right. The bike was a monster.

Yoshimura-san, forever

Users who are viewing this thread