Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A Ki-115 airframe kept at the National Museum of Nature and Science in Tokyo.

Ki-115.JPG

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1652011161766998016

Gen. Tomoyuki Yamashita in Manila. October 1945.

View attachment 738091View attachment 738092
Source: Ruins that MacArthur Saw - Gaetano Faillace Photo Collection (1983)
This video iincludes the site of the Palawan massacre. Like many others, Yamashita allowed things to happen that never should have been allowed. I created this video from my Dad's 8mm movies that he took in 1945.

View: https://youtu.be/w4nhtMhJYRI

We had better know about Yamashita's predecessor -

Shigenori Kuroda (1887-1954), IJA Lt. General. Commander of the 14th Army in Philippine from May 1943 to September 1944.
Known as a fine playboy by the locals.

He was a rare liberalist in IJA and wanted to be seen as a governor, not military man by the locals. Sentenced for life at the Manila Military Tribunal in 1947. Released in 1952. $1K ramsom was said paid by the Japanese government.
The rest of Japanese prisoners in Philippines followed this example. All were said released by July 1953.
He did not mind his staff's business.

Left: Lt. Gen. Honma. Center: Lt. Gen. Kuroda when three were released in 1952.
01.jpg

Source: Wiki

This video iincludes the site of the Palawan massacre. Like many others, Yamashita allowed things to happen that never should have been allowed. I created this video from my Dad's 8mm movies that he took in 1945.

View: https://youtu.be/w4nhtMhJYRI

Wow, your dad was a very good photographer, even seems to know to do some motion reduction from moving vehicles. Would be cool to see a then and now from some of the areas of the city he shot. Also that footage would be a good candidate for digital clean up, really good stuff. :thumbright:

BTW, what did your dad do in the service? If you don't mind me asking.

Wow, your dad was a very good photographer, even seems to know to do some motion reduction from moving vehicles. Would be cool to see a then and now from some of the areas of the city he shot. Also that footage would be a good candidate for digital clean up, really good stuff. :thumbright:

BTW, what did your dad do in the service? If you don't mind me asking.
Thank you. Those 8mm movies were filmed shortly after the re-capture of Manila. My mother was an artist (oil painting) who took photos with her 35mm camera, mostly color slides. and my dad did 35mm slides as well as shot 8mm film from a Kodak wind-up movie camera. Mother was more interested in landscapes and my dad took may photos of people. I'm not familiar with how to do digital processing or cleanup; how does one go about that? Note for Shinpachi- my mother studied painting with Kazuho Hieda in Tokyo.

My dad was US Army for 30+ years. He started off in the CCC in 1933, joined the Army Reserves in 1936 and went on active duty the summer before Pearl Harbor. He was in Quartermaster (nominally) but was always concerned with transportation and so, when the Transportation Corps was formed, he was transferred to it. In Japan right after the War he was in GHQ, MacArthur's headquarters in the Dai-Ichi Building in Tokyo. I suspect he was also involved in other things that he did not talk about, as I found that when we lived in Germany, he had a "Cosmic Top Secret" clearance.

Video enhancement software and there are services who will do if for you but I think are pretty pricey. Not my area of expertise, sorry, just a thought because your dad took such great pictures it would be nice to "clean" them up a bit.

Neil can publish several photo books IMO :)

On the border between Kanagawa Prefecture and Tokyo. Exact period is unknown.
View attachment 738242
Source: Ruins that MacArthur Saw - Gaetano Faillace Photo Collection (1983)
Shinpachi it too kind. :) I do have many 35mm color slides of Japan in 1947-1950 and of Europe 1954-1957. That photo was probably taken before 1948 as by then the 1st Cav Division was stationed in Camp Drake, on the edge of Tokyo. Camp Drake:
181 Camp Drake Japan.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back