Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Japanese female pilot of great renown Ms. Choko Mabuchi with her Salmson 2A2 at the Suzaki airfield in Chichijima Island, Tokyo on August 17, 1934.

Ms. Choko Mabuchi (*1911-1985)
Choko_Mabuchi_1934.jpg

Source: Press Rengo Photo News (Aug 1934)

Its my personal policy not to post pictures i find of:
Dead all side
SS
People including pow that are starving.

How ever i have seen quite a few and from different places from all occupied countries Japan had of nearly starving skeletons.
And not only men.
In fact there are achives us uk ned aus nwz etc of that material and what happened to people.

Bet you a sake these slim and healthy looking guys if captured at all were very lucky.

Or had been fattened up and reclothed over the previous weeks so that MacArthur would not be offended. Anyone got a date on any of those photos?
I doubt that...at the end of the war the Japanese could hardly feed themselves and there were no stocks of new US uniforms to be had.

Food supply in Japan was under control during the war even though volume was not enough.
My father as an IJA soldier deployed nearby Tokyo was sent food from his home town and did not starve.
Japanese did starve after the war ended as the supply channel had been out of control.

I doubt that...at the end of the war the Japanese could hardly feed themselves and there were no stocks of new US uniforms to be had.

I am not suggesting that the Japanese were able to feed and/or clothe those POW's. As you say they could not even feed and clothe themselves properly at that stage.

The POW's in the first two photos of post 4706 are in what appears to be new uniforms which is why I asked if any dates were known. The POW's would have been the first priority for the incoming American servicemen so they would have been given new clothing within weeks and fed up as fast as the incoming servicemen could do that.

It looks to me like there are far too many in new uniforms for these photos to have been taken soon after the cease fire.

Even in 1947 things were still bad but they were better than they were when those photos were taken. As Sherman said "War is Hell".View attachment 737520
He looks like one of the demobilized soldiers who had lost his home and family in Tokyo.
When demobilized as a POW, I heard that not a few of them hesitated to come home and lived anoymous.

He looks like one of the demobilized soldiers who had lost his home and family in Tokyo.
When demobilized as a POW, I heard that not a few of them hesitated to come home and lived anoymous.
He could have been one of those soldiers. Perhaps he was also suffering the effects of post-traumatic stress. He lived there between Grant Heights (in Narimasu) and Tokyo. I do not know what happened to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back