Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sugamo Prison.

Visitation room(right) and application form(left)
Sugamo_Prison_08.jpg

18.jpg

2nd floor of building No.2 of block No.3
Sugamo_Prison_09.jpg

1st floor of building No.2 of block No.3
Sugamo_Prison_10.jpg

Source: Prison of the Century - Sugamo Prison : Photo Collection (1982)

Sugamo Prison.

Bath room.
Some class A and B prisoners like former Admiral Nagano were abused by the allied jailers being ordered to soak in the cold water in the winter(left). Some prisoners attempted suicide by falling head-first from the screen(right)
Sugamo_Prison_12.jpg

Community cell. Some prisoners attempted suicide by glass fragment of the toilet(left)
Sugamo_Prison_13.jpg

Rice cookers(left) and bath tub for class B and C.
Sugamo_Prison_14.jpg

Source: Prison of the Century - Sugamo Prison : Photo Collection (1982)

I have got rather mixed up but, soon after the Korean War broke out, Japan Police Reserve Corps(JPRC, later JSDF) was established by order of GHQ on August 10, 1950. People who seeked for job rushed to recruitment for the limit 75,000 plus 8,000 for the coast guard.

JPRC_recruit_1950a.jpg
JPRC_recruit_1950b.jpg

Source: Pictorial Modern History: Postwar World and Japan (1955)

I have got rather mixed up but, soon after the Korean War broke out, Japan Police Reserve Corps(JPRC, later JSDF) was established by order of GHQ on August 10, 1950. People who seeked for job rushed to recruitment for the limit 75,000 plus 8,000 for the coast guard.

View attachment 746680View attachment 746681
Source: Pictorial Modern History: Postwar World and Japan (1955)
By 1950 Japan's recovery had begun but there was still widespread poverty and lack of opportunity. Opening an avenue to good jobs would certainly be greeted by many applying for those jobs.

Yes, and I worked with the kindest Japanese lady B4 I moved to Oz. She was shipped off to Japan in 1939 at around 10 years of age, as was custom in those days to learn from her elders "the old ways". Needless to say she didn't return to California until 1947, now a teenager with little education. The rest of her family in the USofA were sent off to Internment losing Everything. She did not like being around her family as all they could talk about was getting little or Nothing for being interred, only food and shelter! She lived in abject poverty during the war years. Begging fishermen for scraps to feed her aging grandparents while learning "the old ways". Does anyone benefit by war? Some will say yes, but at who's expense?

Finally, in compliance with the pacifist Constitution and NPT, plutonium Japan holds is called Saishori-kakunenryou(再処理核燃料 = Re-processed nuclear fuel for MOX). Total volume is said 46 ton and this exceeds China's for warheads. Stored 10 ton in Japan, 21 ton in UK and 15 ton in France separately for MOX processing.

MOX
MOX.jpg

Source: 日本のプルトニウム警戒 イラン「前例ない貯蔵量」(共同通信) - Yahoo!ニュース

Users who are viewing this thread

Back