Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I find no more details than this -

Mechanic of World Aircraft (Maru Mecha) says,
The P1Y1's windshield had a quadratic curve with a flat bulletproof glass in the center to minimize the air drag. However, as there were such complaints from pilots as internal reflections on the curved surface in the night caused nerve strain as well as raindrops tended to stick to the surface to reduce visibility flying in the rain, the windshield was redesigned with all flat panels and it had increased the drag.

Today for your viewing pleasure. As the Beatles said, "I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends", some Pfalz D.III fighters ar Kara Pumar being sent to Palestine to bolster the Ottoman cause, 1918. From the endless source of amusement, the net.

Attachments

• Pfalz D.IIIa fighters at Kara-Pumar (20 were sent) on thier way to Palestine 1918 .png
    343.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
That problem with the curved windshoeld wasn't also an issue in the J2M Raiden?

Yes. Though I see it's a bit more muted than I remember. Still and all, does it look like 80 year old plexi?
This is a G4M3 in NASM to compare.

The cockpit side windowpanes look the laminated glass plates with a celluloid plate sandwiched inside.
Other 'glasses' look genuine acryl to me. They still look very clear except scratches.

Source: Mitsubishi G4M3 Model 34 BETTY

I did not know that. I will have to pay more attention to the J2M.
Thanks

A total of eight development prototype J2Ms were built. The aircraft were initially fitted with an extremely shallow, curved windscreen and canopy in an attempt to reduce drag. Test pilot Katsuzo Shima stated after his first flight that the forward view was totally unacceptable and that the curved windscreen badly distorted vision. The sixth prototype was evaluated by the Air Arsenal at Suzuka and then fitted with redesigned cockpit glazing, including a flat windscreen panel.

Source: J2M Raiden and N1K1/2 Shiden/Shiden-Kai Aces (Aircraft of the Aces)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pilots and their chariots. Courtesy of SEAFORORG. The additions to the names cracked me up.

Attachments

• F:A-18F Super Hornet (VFA-213 : CVW-8) at NAS Oceana, Virginia - March 2018 SEAORG.png
    158 KB · Views: 12
  • F:A-18F Super Hornet (VFA-213 : CVW-8) aboard USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) - January 2018 SEAORG.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 12
  • F:A-18F Super Hornet (VFA-213 : CVW-8) aboard USS George H. W. Bush (CVN 77) - May 2018 SEAORG.png
    340.9 KB · Views: 12
Woke up and having a difficult time getting back to sleep. I have to be up by 6 am, so it's going to be a VERY long day. For your viewing amusement, today we have three photos of the brave flying aviators that served their countries.

Attachments

• IJAAF of the 244th Sentai at Chofu Airfield south of Tokyo. Major Kobayashi is pictured. (firs...png
    127.8 KB · Views: 13
  • OC No.106 Squadron W:C Guy Gibson DFC and BAR (middle front row) with personal 31 May 1942 at ...png
    249.5 KB · Views: 12
  • VFA-87 aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) - March 2006 SEAORG.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread