Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nakajima B5N1 'W-323' IJN Soryu China War Spring 1939 KOJI
Nakajima B5N1 'W-323' IJN Soryu China War Spring 1939 KOJI.png

They had shrines, or what the Japanese workers translated to me as "spirit houses" in several places at Yamada Camp, which had been part of the Kokura arsenal.
400 or so munition storage bunkers located in the mountains outside Kokura, the intended primary target for the Nagasaki bomb.

We had maybe 50 or so mopi wearing Japanese women, using little hand sickles to cut the grass. They took special care near the shrines.
I was 19 years old, and my first time in a foreign country.
A fascinating time and place for a hillbilly like me.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I looked into the "spirit house" of a shrine nearby.
There was nothing as spirit was invisible. As the Japanese did not worship idols, there were conflicts some times when Buddhism was introduced.
Even when the emperor took back power from Tokugawa shogunate in 1868, Buddhism was denied for a while.

When I was in Japan in 66-67 I saw the little shrines everywhere, beside the roads, walkways, even on mountain trails in the lush forest in Kyushu.
Most of the ones I saw were hardwood, of some sort, and they all looked ancient, but well maintained.

I noticed how the grass cutters seem to show the little shrines such care, and took special pains to make everything around them look perfect.
I decided to keep my distance, and not accidently do anything that might be seen as disrespectful.

Cleaning a shrine is sacred service for the soul of ancient hero.

Cleaning_a_shrine_a.jpg

IJA 16th Army, 3rd Flight Group, IJN 1st Sothern Fleet for the southern Sumatra and IJA 25th Army for the northern Sumatra to occupy the island from February 14 to March 27, 1942. Dutch troops burns the oil refinery facilities to retreat into the mountain.

Sumatra_Feb-Mar_1942a.JPG
Sumatra_Feb-Mar_1942b.JPG
Sumatra_Feb-Mar_1942c.JPG
Sumatra_Feb-Mar_1942d.JPG

Source: History of Showa-era (一億人の昭和史・日本の戦史 8・太平洋戦争 2)(Dec.1978)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back