Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aichi D3As of the 33rd Hikotai based on Timor attacking Port Darwin 1942 AIVA
Aichi D3As of the 33rd Hikotai based on Timor attacking Port Darwin 1942 AIVA.png

Occupation of British/Dutch Borneo was carried out by Kawaguchi detachment of IJA 18th division on December 16, 1941 and Sakaguchi detachment on January 11, 1942 to support the Sumatra/Java campaign.

Borneo_campaign_Dec_1941-Jan_1942a.JPG

Kawaguch detachment
Borneo_campaign_Dec_1941-Jan_1942b.JPG

At Pamankat and Equator Monument at Pontianak
Borneo_campaign_Dec_1941-Jan_1942c.JPG

Kawaguchi detachment at Ledo Airfield
Borneo_campaign_Dec_1941-Jan_1942d.JPG

Sakaguchi detachment at the oil facilities of Tarakan
Borneo_campaign_Dec_1941-Jan_1942e.JPG

IJN landing force Yamamoto unit at Balikpapan
Borneo_campaign_Dec_1941-Jan_1942f.JPG

Source: History of Showa-era (一億人の昭和史・日本の戦史 8・太平洋戦争 2)(Dec.1978)

You need to move to Hilo Hawaii where smallest item on the breakfast menu means you will get two big plates of food, overflowing, for starters. I ordered with hash brown and toast and thought that was the full order but then the waitress said did I want the pancake or waffle. I said pancake, thinking a single small one but that really meant a three 10 inch diameter half inch thick pancakes on their own plate, with syrup etc. No wonder so many Americans are obese.
View attachment 784573
I eat SPAM all the time! I have been eating it in, of all places NEW ENGLAND growing up as a boy in the 50s and 60s. I think my mother got this from my father returning from WWII, I think he may have introduced SPAM and Chip Beef Gravey which is SOS.....S_ _ t On a Shingle as he called it! I absolutely loved SPAM....Hated SOS!

That was a bit of unexpected advertising.
ZENOL_PLASTER.jpg

Probably same as this modern one -
ZENOL Pain Relief Patch
Topical Analgesic for Pain Relief

1."The patch exerts high anti-inflammatory and cooling effects."
With anti-inflammatory effect of glycol salicylate and cooling effect of high moisture base, the patch is very effective for joint pain, muscle pain, and sprain.

2."It stretches well and adhesive to the affected area."
Using highly stretchable non-woven fabric and highly viscous plaster, the patch exerts its analgesic effect by adhering to areas such as elbow, knee, etc. with a wide range of motion.
"Aluminum bag with a zipper"
The aluminum bag with a zipper helps easy storage, and prevents the plaster from being dried.

Occupation of Celebes Island was carried out by IJN airborne unit and landing force from Philippine directly in January and February 1942. This airborne operation was not made public until February 14 when IJA carried out another airborne operation in Palembang.

Celebes_Jan-Feb_1942a.JPG
Celebes_Jan-Feb_1942b.JPG

Flak destroyed a Zero's wing
Celebes_Jan-Feb_1942c.JPG
Celebes_Jan-Feb_1942d.JPG
Celebes_Jan-Feb_1942e.JPG

Occupation of Celebes Island was carried out by IJN airborne unit and landing force from Philippine directly in January and February 1942. This airborne operation was not made public until February 14 when IJA carried out another airborne operation in Palembang.

View attachment 785169

Flak destroyed a Zero's wing
View attachment 785171
Catch the blurb about a B-17?

Many of such heroes had been forgotten in the postwar Japan.

"During the attack on Kendari, Petty Officer Morita lost a wing by a flak but came home to Langoan Base. Allied planes such as B-17s and B-24s often raided Manado but even Zero fighters had difficulty shooting them down. Armor-piercing shells were strengthened as a countermeasure."
Celebes_Jan-Feb_1942c_cropped.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back