Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No one says but If Admiral Isoroku Yamamot had been alive, he might have looked like this actor Hiroshi Tachi.

Yamamoto in 1928
Isoroku_Yamamoto_Signed_Portrait_30_Jan_1928.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

Hiroshi Tachi
Actor_Hiroshi_Tachi.jpg

Source: èã²ãã | ã½ãã¼ãã¥ã¼ã¸ãã¯ãªãã£ã·ã£ã«ãµã¤ã

tachi-hiroshi-03.jpg

Source: 舘ひろしさんの前歯や歯並びを批評 - 僕の審美歯科ガイド|前歯の差し歯治療で後悔しないための情報源

Sorry but I forgot that actor Hiroshi Tachi played Isoroku Yamamoto in the movie アルキメデスの大戦(The Great War of Archimedes) in 2019.
Someone thinks same as I think :)

tachi_hiroshi04.jpg

Sorry but I forgot that actor Hiroshi Tachi played Isoroku Yamamoto in the movie アルキメデスの大戦(The Great War of Archimedes) in 2019.
Someone thinks same as I think :)

View attachment 778877
I enjoyed that movie.

I used to work on civilian YS-11's in the 1980's when I worked for Simmonds Airlines. One of my more memorable repair trips was caused by an failure of the DC Starting motor of the RR Dart turboprop's. Apparently there was a SB but not an AD about adding a switch and indicator light in the cockpit to confirm that the starter motor disengaged from the engine when the switch was released. (or in other words an indicator light that indicated when the starter was engaged on the engine) Our fleet of around 8 did not have it installed.
Well we had an indecent at a airport in Northern MI around 1985, the #2 engines starter motor did not disconnect properly and during the takeoff run it overspeeded and failed. The case came apart blew a 150mm hole in the cowling, distorted the clamshell cowling enough that it unlatched and opened and peeled back along the nacelle and wing. If that wasn't bad enough the armature of the motor stayed engaged and the 100mm tall armature flattened out like a Sharp sunflower and continued to turn, cutting the fire loops and engine wiring harness. The starter islocated near the front of the engine at around the 10:00 position.
So just after V1 was reached (the speed that an aborted T/O should not longer be attempted) a load bang was heard from the RH engine, the FO observed the cowling part the aircraft, and blue smoke was observed coming from the side of the engine. The #2 engine fire warning went off (because of the cut fire loops) and all engine indicators on that side went dead.
I can not blame the crew for aborting the T/O at that point, but as they could not stop on the runway (the darts on the YS-11 did not have reversible props, they could go to flat pitch that increased drag, and reduced thrust. ) they ran the A/C off the runway, they did manage to miss the approach lights, but ran into small sapling trees that did quite a bit of small damage to the underside of the fuselage & wings. Cam to a stop safely, shut down and evacuated the A/C with only minor injuries to the passengers. But then the A/C settled into the mud to the tops of the MLG wheels. And that night the temperature dropped and the mud froze.
The next morning when we were given permission to start recovering the A/C by the FAA inspectors the temp had fallen to around Zero F, and we had to use pick axes to break up the frozen mud before jacking the A/C, sliding large steel plates under the tires, and pushing it back onto the runway. Fun couple of days. I had that motors armature on my tool box for months before someone liberated it from me.
Thanks for reminding me about working on YS-11's it was so long ago I didn't remember that I had ever worked on them. For that airline I mostly worked on Shorts 360's and Embraer 110's, along with ATR 42's just before I moved on to my next job. Shortly after this "event" we started installing the SB to add the indicator lights and switch's!

Apparently my memory is fading 40 years after the event, it seems the starter motor is located at the 2:00 position not the 10:00 position like I remember.
1715884021248.jpeg

Source Rolls-Royce Dart - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I used to work on civilian YS-11's in the 1980's when I worked for Simmonds Airlines. One of my more memorable repair trips was caused by an failure of the DC Starting motor of the RR Dart turboprop's. Apparently there was a SB but not an AD about adding a switch and indicator light in the cockpit to confirm that the starter motor disengaged from the engine when the switch was released. (or in other words an indicator light that indicated when the starter was engaged on the engine) Our fleet of around 8 did not have it installed.
Well we had an decedent at a airport in Northern MI around 1985, the #2 engines starter motor did not disconnect properly and during the takeoff run it overspeeded and failed. The case came apart blew a 150mm hole in the cowling, distorted the clamshell cowling enough that it unlatched and opened and peeled back along the nacelle and wing. If that wasn't bad enough the armature of the motor stayed engaged and the 100mm tall armature flattened out like a Sharp sunflower and continued to turn, cutting the fire loops and engine wiring harness. The starter islocated near the front of the engine at around the 10:00 position.
So just after V1 was reached (the speed that an aborted T/O should not longer be attempted) a load bang was heard from the RH engine, the FO observed the cowling part the aircraft, and blue smoke was observed coming from the side of the engine. The #2 engine fire warning went off (because of the cut fire loops) and all engine indicators on that side went dead.
I can not blame the crew for aborting the T/O at that point, but as they could not stop on the runway (the darts on the YS-11 did not have reversible props, they could go to flat pitch that increased drag, and reduced thrust. ) they ran the A/C off the runway, they did manage to miss the approach lights, but ran into small sapling trees that did quite a bit of small damage to the underside of the fuselage & wings. Cam to a stop safely, shut down and evacuated the A/C with only minor injuries to the passengers. But then the A/C settled into the mud to the tops of the MLG wheels. And that night the temperature dropped and the mud froze.
The next morning when we were given permission to start recovering the A/C by the FAA inspectors the temp had fallen to around Zero F, and we had to use pick axes to break up the frozen mud before jacking the A/C, sliding large steel plates under the tires, and pushing it back onto the runway. Fun couple of days. I had that motors armature on my tool box for months before someone liberated it from me.
Thanks for reminding me about working on YS-11's it was so long ago I didn't remember that I had ever worked on them. For that airline I mostly worked on Shorts 360's and Embraer 110's, along with ATR 42's just before I moved on to my next job. Shortly after this "event" we started installing the SB to add the indicator lights and switch's!

Apparently my memory is fading 40 years after the event, it seems the starter motor is located at the 2:00 position not the 10:00 position like I remember.
View attachment 779023

Source Rolls-Royce Dart - Wikipedia

Thanks for sharing such an interesting story, cammerjeff.
Didn't the plane look like this?
Thank you very much again :thumbleft:

YS-11(Simmons Airlines).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back