Picture of the day. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just for clarification on the image of the guys changing a B-29's wheel. The jacking point is shown in this image. The jack is inserted from the front and hand cranked, lifting the oleo off the ground, but keeping the aircraft level-ish. The only stipulation is that the park brake is released before jacking. Turnaround, at a guess should be around 15-20 mins to do the job, depending on how the wheel is fastened to the axle, the tyre being deflated on removal as standard, at least, that's the way it's done on modern aircraft.

View attachment 646643DSC_0657

The left hand outboard wheel definitely needs changing on this aircraft...
Bulging sidewall and threads showing. Should be good for another winter.

Not to mention the flat spot on #1, Nice to see the gear and strut locks in place in that Photo. And yes I am used to using the strut jack to change a tire or brake.

The size of those tires remind me of the 727 tires I used to change. The only difference is we used to use a tire jack to lift them high enough off the ramp to slide over the axle & brakes. It does look like the 2 tech's are holding the wheel assembly in place while the 3rd guys is messing with what I suppose is the outer bearing and wheel nut? It would be interesting to see how the older Boeing product secured the wheel on the axle.

I suspect the wing jacks are for other stuff, maybe they are doing gear swings or something, but you can see under the axle in silhouette is a jack, which they would have used during a wheel change.

Yeah, I would suspect it is in for some other maintenance and the change is done in conduction. I've changed hundreds of tires and wheel assemblies like that.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-478-2162-26,_Italien,_Flak.jpg

the Internet

Tailpiece of an English Vickers Wellington shot off near Haarlem. July 1940.
Through this text I arrived at 06.07.1940. At 03.35 am this Wellington Ic crashed in Haarlem on the Oudeweg-Veerpolder with 7 houses burned out and collapsed. The aircraft belonged to 99 Squadron, registration R3170. Four survivors, one dead. Hit by flak.

1635768398261.png

1635768585230.png

1635768607206.png

1635768634033.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
And yes I am used to using the strut jack to change a tire or brake.

The size of those tires remind me of the 727 tires I used to change. The only difference is we used to use a tire jack to lift them high enough off the ramp to slide over the axle & brakes. It does look like the 2 tech's are holding the wheel assembly in place while the 3rd guys is messing with what I suppose is the outer bearing and wheel nut? It would be interesting to see how the older Boeing product secured the wheel on the axle.

Nice, cammerjeff, the Threeholer certainly made an impact. I never worked on them, in fact I've had nothing to do with them, but they sure looked great. I did line maintenance for years, but on planes with whirly things on the front. As with a lot of you guys, I too have changed hundreds, if not thousands of aircraft tyres...

Oh, by the way, the piccie I posted was not specifically aimed at you, cammerjeff, more to show people reading how it was done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back