Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Then and now

1644408485558.png

1644408595919.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Italians arrive in Stalino ...View attachment 366241
I often wonder about the point of mounting a machine gun on the front of a motorcycle. I can see the advantage of it on a sidecar as the passenger can fire whilst in motion but what use, other than to get in the way, is a handle bar mounted weapon for the rider. He can't use it whilst riding. So he is left with one of 3 choices, fight, scarper or or get blatted.

Pete

Any average skilled bike rider could steer with one hand, and aim and shoot with the other surely.
Maybe not too well on a rough road.

During my paintball war days, one guy did mount a paintball gun on a bicycle, he managed it OK.

I'd sure hate to be the first man in that group and see a ambush ahead without that mounted gun.
If he didn't have that mounted gun, all he could do is lay it down and hope for some cover close by.
With that mounted gun he could be shooting back while the rest of the patrol dismounted and then covered him.

Any average skilled bike rider could steer with one hand, and aim and shoot with the other surely.

During my paintball war days, one guy did mount a paintball gun on a bicycle, he managed it OK.

I'd sure hate to be the first man in that group and see a ambush ahead without that mounted gun.
If he didn't have that mounted gun, all he could do is lay it down and hope for some cover close by.
With that mounted gun he could be shooting back while the rest of the patrol dismounted and then covered him.
Not sure about steering and firing, the recoil would be a right b@#$&^d!!! The GPMG would shuffle you back as did the M60.

Pete

The French did better with the TAP 150, a Vespa scooter carrying a M20 75 mm recoilless rifle for the airborne troops.

Not sure about steering and firing, the recoil would be a right b@#$&^d!!! The GPMG would shuffle you back as did the M60.

Pete
There's a difference between firing a MG that you're holding , like from a bipod, where you're taking most of the recoil.
But if it's mounted on a pintle, like fixed on a helicopter, or in this case a motorcycle, the pintle mount takes most of the recoil, not you.
I've fired a M60 both mounted on a pintle, and hung from a bungy strap, there's lot of difference between the two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back