Picture of the day. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The B-18 didn't actually beat the Boeing 299 - the 299 was dropped from the competition when the air force crashed the prototype before completing all the tests. To better control the possible back-room deals, Congress had required all competitors to complete ALL tests to be eligible for purchase. (It didn't matter that the aif force was 100% responsible for the crash.)

Much is also made of Boeing's financial losses - the company had invested heavily in the prototype. But this wasn't the first such loss, it was the last. Under the Air Corps Cooperative Airplane Program (again, Congress's plan) designers built and delivered prototypes out of their own pockets. Successful prototypes could be purchased, or purchased with an order placed for preproduction aircraft, or ordered into production. Prototypes that failed often led to bankruptcies.

After the 299 crash, major companies began refusing to take such risks, especially for 4-engined bombers, and the ACCAP was terminated.

Cheers,

Dana

A pair of B-18 Bolo's and a C-47 at Albrook Filed, Canal Zone. January 25th 1943. The Bolo's were being used for anti sub
patrols.

B-18_and_C-47_Albrook_Filed_Canal_Zone_25jan1943.jpg

I found a photo saved on my PC without any description so here it is:
hx7TErq.jpg

This is probably a staff car somewhere in North Africa. But what's this officer's uniform? Is it Greek? Or Yugoslavian?
Does anybody know the exact model of the car?
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

Last edited:
I think it will be a 1938 Ford Model 81A De Luxe (V8 3.6l Flathead) as a British staff car, and a Greek soldier.

Last edited:
Battle of Midway, June 4th 1942. A SBD-3 scout bomber, probably flown by the Bombing Squadron Three (VB-3)
Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Commander Maxwell F. Leslie, ditches alongside USS Astoria (CA 34) at about
1348 hrs on 4 June 1942. This was one of two VB-3 planes that ditched near Astoria after they were unable to
land on the damaged USS Yorktown (CV 5). Photographed from atop Astoria's after superstructure. Note her
port aircraft crane, and an SOC floatplane on her port catapult.

0403414.jpg

My fathers ship DD-740/DM28 USS Tolman off Okinawa 1945. His battle station was the Mark 1A Fire Control Computer pretty much straight down from the Mk37 Director above the bridge. Had an opportunity to see where he worked on a visit to a sister ship the DD-724 USS Laffey at Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum in Charleston SC.

DM28.jpg

Combat Credit 8PT Boats & 5 Aircraft. Lives on having provided WWII parts to the restoration of the USS Kidd Museum ship in Baton Rouge

Last edited:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back